cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In Dash GPS are they worth a darn ?

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Final stages of buying 2010 Tiffen Phaeton. Beautiful coach.
Question, it has the JVC KW-NX7000 GPS in dash.
Is it worth while to use for RVing? Or simply a cool radio?

Any other wisdom you might share about the Tiffen would be most appreciated.

Chuck
22 REPLIES 22

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
I do not like the in-dash units as compared to my on-dash Garmin. The primary reason is that with the unit up on the dash it is much easier and faster to just flick your eyes at it for a moment and then back to eyes on the road. The in-dash unit frequently require one also move your head which lengthens the time that your eyes are off of the road.

I agree as well. That's why I use my Garmin and not my in-dash unit in my Yukon.

Al

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like the in-dash units as compared to my on-dash Garmin. The primary reason is that with the unit up on the dash it is much easier and faster to just flick your eyes at it for a moment and then back to eyes on the road. The in-dash unit frequently require one also move your head which lengthens the time that your eyes are off of the road.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
When considering a GPS, make sure it can take Height, Width and other items into account when calculating a route. I'd be scared that low clearances are in my future if I didn't have the GPS with that ability in play.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am curious---the only GPS I have is on my phone, does it up date?
Yep.. always up to date.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the rest - we have an in dash GPS and it's very unfriendly, not in a good location to look at while driving, and complicated to get back to radio. Add to that, when you turn, the side cameras take over the screen.

I just throw my Garmin big screen RV GPS on top of the dash in plain site.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gundog wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
An in dash unit can cost close to $2000 and a good, large screen, portable unit can be bought for a few hundred. Keep in mind that "LIFETIME" maps are not really what you think. This is what Magellen has to say and as I found out from Garmin GPS, they have similar limitations as to how long you can continue to get updates for your GPS.

For all lifetime map subscriptions, lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. For all lifetime map subscriptions, you will receive map data updates when such updates are made available on Magellanโ€™s website during the deviceโ€™s useful life for that compatible Magellan device. โ€œDeviceโ€™s useful lifeโ€ refers to the period during which the device has all required technical capabilities, including sufficient memory capacity and current operating system, to download and use current map data. A deviceโ€™s useful life is considered to be a maximum of 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. A device will be considered past its useful life if it is more than 3 years old or if no updates have been downloaded for more than 2 years (24 months).

I have a Garmin portable that I have had for years with free updates I just updated it the other day. I have had it at least 5 to 6 years. I have had Magellan in the past I much prefer Garmin. I have Garmin in my boat they are very easy to use.

You are right and I loved my Garmin, which had lifetime updates. I had the big screen units with the lifetime updates and the last time I went to update them I was told that they no longer supported that unit. Garmin did offer me to send in my old unit and they replaced it with another GPS unit. The only problem is that the replacement had a smaller screen. They did give me a choice of two different models but they were both small screens. I guess the time limit for Garmin is determined by how long that particular model has been on the market. If you buy one towards the end of it's updateable life, you may only get a few years of use. To Garmin's credit, giving me a new unit in exchange for my old unit was a decent offer, even tho I lost my big screen. I do not know if Magellen makes the same offer on their lifetime units when the reach the end of their life.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2017 has in dash, voice activated GPS and my smart phone is better but the main problem with the in dash is the complexity and number of steps to learn.
Jayco-noslide

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
An in dash unit can cost close to $2000 and a good, large screen, portable unit can be bought for a few hundred. Keep in mind that "LIFETIME" maps are not really what you think. This is what Magellen has to say and as I found out from Garmin GPS, they have similar limitations as to how long you can continue to get updates for your GPS.

For all lifetime map subscriptions, lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. For all lifetime map subscriptions, you will receive map data updates when such updates are made available on Magellanโ€™s website during the deviceโ€™s useful life for that compatible Magellan device. โ€œDeviceโ€™s useful lifeโ€ refers to the period during which the device has all required technical capabilities, including sufficient memory capacity and current operating system, to download and use current map data. A deviceโ€™s useful life is considered to be a maximum of 3 (three) years from the date of the first use. A device will be considered past its useful life if it is more than 3 years old or if no updates have been downloaded for more than 2 years (24 months).

I have a Garmin portable that I have had for years with free updates I just updated it the other day. I have had it at least 5 to 6 years. I have had Magellan in the past I much prefer Garmin. I have Garmin in my boat they are very easy to use.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I like my wife's gps in her 2016 Ford Edge. My 2015 wrangler is ok.
I personally like WAZE app on my phone.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am curious---the only GPS I have is on my phone, does it up date? I read maps real well so very seldom use a GPS and then it is for something I am close to, I then use my phone.

Ferndale,

This is a very good question. If you have an iPhone, I can't help. If it is a Googlephone, then the answer is all the time. I have entered data to Google maps and seen in the update later that day. I don't really know if it was my report, but they up date a lot. It does seem to be more often if it burns data to do it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
A portable big screen Garmin is much better. I don't even bother with the one in my dash.

Same here, I've had two built in GPSs....very hard to use and update. Get a Garmin RV GPS, free lifetime up dates and RV oriented.
2014 American Eagle

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I just updated my 2012 Kenwood in dash radio containing map guidance from Garmin. Update included the software and mapping.

It works great now. Like how it plays through the larger coach speakers, easier to hear the turn instructions then the smaller GPS models.
2012 Discovery 40X 380hp ISC.
Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am curious---the only GPS I have is on my phone, does it up date? I read maps real well so very seldom use a GPS and then it is for something I am close to, I then use my phone.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III