cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In Elkhart today, new Phoenix Cruiser owner.

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
I arrived in the RV mecca - Elkhard IN. My goodness, all the RV makers you read about in one small area here - WOW.

I went from a Tent, to a Class C, then a Truck camper, another class C, last one was a Class A, and today I'm the proud owner of a Class B...or B+ however you want to classify it.

I flew into Southbend Indiana then picked up a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser. I topped counting the number of so tiler haulers leaving with new trailers from all the various manufactures in the area.

For years here on this site I kept hearing happy owners say - GET A PHOENIX CRUISER. Last month I saw the 2400 model and knew that was it.

After being fed up with Sprinters and their diesel engines and service, I went with the gold standard Ford V10.

The 2400 has a slide and no permanent bed, with rear entry and kitchen and toiled/shower in the back. HUGE bathroom, wood floors. I hate always having to look at a bed or having a bed take up usable floor space. This design works for me 100%. Others hate it and think it's a mistake. I wanted a utilitarian road cruiser that you can also camp in. Not a tradition "camper rv" but a road cruiser with a nice bathroom, huge fridge, lots of room when the slider is out, and I got it in spades with the PC.

Another reason against the Sprinter style for me was the WALL REAL ESTATE the sliding door uses up. With the read entry "camper" style entry I save that real estate.

With the Ford I was able to add levelers and could not according to many Sprnter RV people.

I had PC add another fantastic fan, upgraded the AC to the 15000 watt, added solar.

Here the fun part; I shipped 8 boxes to the hotel in southbend full of my camping gear, pots, pans, tools, lights, two bikes and a bike rack etc. etc. ( I marked the boxes CONVENTION TRADE SHOW equipment...most hotels understand getting big shipments for conventions.

I met with Earl at PC signed my life away, gave proof of insurance, went for a tour of the facility VERY IMPRESSIVE, did the 2 hour walk through, they filled up all my tanks, FUEL, PROPANE, WATER -and off I went.

Went back to the hotel loaded up the PC, attached the bike rack, loaded up the bikes, and now on a trip from Southbend, south to NC, FL. TX, NM, AZ, CO. CA.

The PC rides like a Cadillac, has better maneuverability than most cars. Has more power than I can ever imaging needing, Most of all the aerodynamic that is specific to PC makes the coach silent running down the road at 80mph.

Inside the coach not a creed, no clubs, no noises what so ever, this is a first for me with several RV's.

Side note: all the oak cabinets are manufactured by the Amish who are huge in this area. I will put these oak cabinets from the Amish up against any Canadian firm out there.
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400
58 REPLIES 58

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a photo, for recline function.

Recline knob

After spending $2,000.00 on my Sprinter to find / fix an engine code in Aug, I drove a whole 1000 miles before the AC compressor went out, and guess what it just happens to be $2,200.00 to fix.

Sprinter people dump your Sprinter before the warranty runs out as the repairs will cripple you.

Here's another '"HAPPY" Sprinter owner. My gas Guzzler has crossed the USA and I have yet to spend a dime on repairs, or a day waiting for parts. Every time I read yet another Sprinter Horror story I smile and it confirms I made the right decision going with a dependable gas guzzler over a "leave you stranded" fuel saver. RVing is a place where dependability and no down time is FAR FAR FAR more important than saving MPG...IMHO

Need some help. Stuck in Albuquerque.

Geojude
Explorer
Explorer
PSW, we just got a euro chair. Using the tab on side can raise the foot rest but how do you get the chair to recline? There is a knob on right side, but don't know what its function is? Thanks!

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
kendall69 wrote:
Fastpaddler wrote:
The OP Phoenix Cruiser is certainly attractive. Congratulations. Not too wide either, I wonder about the comments re diesel problems. Havent had any myself. I DID have a V10 in my Winnebago Aspect. It went into limp mode soon after purchase due to defective throttle positioner valve(pse note), as it seems to be a problem. It was hard on gas and seemed to really rev highly on the Coquihalla mountain route, not climbing any faster than my little I-5 diesel Sprinter. I think that the PW maple cabinetry in my and other PWs is hard to beat for quality--Amish assemblers or not-- but I am pleased you are content with the quality of your MH. A lot of rvs nowadays are built with LAMINATE and otgher materials and they dont look good despite their fancy names. If i were buying a E350 I would consider the 'Cruiser as well as the PW Pursuit. Just my observations based on past experience.

AL

Here's the main reason Sprinter diesel vs. Ford V-10. Between Indiana and TN, I passed more than a dozen Ford dealerships, many right on the freeway . I have yet to see a Sprinter dealer. Same for me at home with my Sprinter, I have to go two hours for service.

No doubt the Sprinter has better fuel mileage, but the V10 has AMAZING power on all the mountain hills I climbed this week, and service is always just around the corner.

For me I want the security of service AND PARTS, over saving fuel dollars. If a Sprinter goes down and needs to be towed hundreds of miles and or wait for parts from Germany there goes the entire trip down the toilet. I needed to wait a month for a belt coming from Germany on my Sprinter from the dealer. I called a dealer in Germany and got it in a week.

No thank you, I am so much more relaxed knowing a Ford dealer is close to me wherever I travel.

I guess I am lucky here, Mercedes dealer services Sprinters and I have a dealer South of me some 30 miles and about the same distance North of me, both on Vancouver Island, BC. There are lots of Sprinters on the road here doing commercial work and MB even has special bays for servicing them. So far my PW has been bullet-proof.
AL

Be careful: Read here....
Sprinter

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Kendall69 what's the measurement of the clothes hanging closet from the top to the floor of the interior hanging space?

I haven't forgotten, but I need to get over to where the RV is stored and I will take the measurement.

I know it won't handle a LONG dress, I'm thinking from memory that my jacket hanging had about 6" to bottom, my wifes regular dress was fine.

I'm thinking a long dress would hang in the shower where there is a ton of room.

Another possible area would be right above the slide laying flat....if that helps. I don't know do women lay their clothes down of do they hang them all??? 40 years and I still can't figure them out.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
kendall69 wrote:
bobojay5 wrote:
........I would suggest you get a front end alignment before your next long trip. Almost all manufacturers recommend one after the first 4 or 5k miles with a new RV, being that the chassis was aligned at Ford with no weight on it. Maybe you can get a Ford warranty alignment, I did with our new Sprinter

Well you were 100% correct. It was 2 degrees off. It ran straight but as the alignment guy said, make sure I had 1/2 - 3/4 tank of water and a 1/2 tank fuel. Sure enough it was off. I couldn't believe it, but he showed me the factory shims and showed me his adjustable shims he installed. Sure glad I did it. Now for a tire rotate.

He explained, the manufacturer sets alignment to a cab and chassis ONLY, and when you drop a RV on that chassis it raises the front end and throws the tires out of alignment.

Every RV we've ever had, 4 of them, has been out of alignment from the factory because of the coach weight addition
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kendall69 what's the measurement of the clothes hanging closet from the top to the floor of the interior hanging space?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We looked at the 2400 at Atlanta RV show last year and really liked it.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
........I would suggest you get a front end alignment before your next long trip. Almost all manufacturers recommend one after the first 4 or 5k miles with a new RV, being that the chassis was aligned at Ford with no weight on it. Maybe you can get a Ford warranty alignment, I did with our new Sprinter

Well you were 100% correct. It was 2 degrees off. It ran straight but as the alignment guy said, make sure I had 1/2 - 3/4 tank of water and a 1/2 tank fuel. Sure enough it was off. I couldn't believe it, but he showed me the factory shims and showed me his adjustable shims he installed. Sure glad I did it. Now for a tire rotate.

He explained, the manufacturer sets alignment to a cab and chassis ONLY, and when you drop a RV on that chassis it raises the front end and throws the tires out of alignment.

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
How was the comfort of the sofa bed? Did it sleep good? Any issues with feeling the gaps, lines, etc?

Also, I've wondered how using the stove with the step down at door works out.

One of our kids finished college last year and the other finished his Jr year. One or both will still spend a night/weekend camping with us although it is usually just the DW, myself and dog. So, hold on to that air mattress even after your daughter is off to college!

I have to admit it's hard for me to find a problem with this set up. It's tough to respond as I love the set up for my style of use, and I'm sure other would prefer larger "typical" class C BIG COACH.

The stove is not a problem where it is and for us we like to BBQ so we brought a lunchbox size BBQ, and use the stove for beans corn etc.
For a quick snack we microwaved hot dogs.

Solaire Grill

The bed has a filler piece that fits in the gap at the feet, other than that the bed is made with the memory foam so once you " go out" the next thing you see is the sun coming up in the morning.

We all started calling the couch/bed the " vortex" that would suck the life out of you. Any one of us that sat on it, we all soon fell asleep, as it was that comfortable.

Once after a HUGE lunch all three of us fell into a "food coma", I fell asleep on the couch the wife and daughter fell sound asleep in the Euro chairs tilted back. We were surprised we were out for over an hour, and felt refreshed.

It was 114 today and I tested the AC counting on the insulation factor they used as a sales tool. Passed with flying colors. I was comfortable inside while it was BRUTAL outside.

I did see an interesting set up on the road, ADD A ROOM, when the daughter who now wants to bring her friends on a trip or two.
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=product&productid=49&categoryid=32

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
How was the comfort of the sofa bed? Did it sleep good? Any issues with feeling the gaps, lines, etc?

Also, I've wondered how using the stove with the step down at door works out.

One of our kids finished college last year and the other finished his Jr year. One or both will still spend a night/weekend camping with us although it is usually just the DW, myself and dog. So, hold on to that air mattress even after your daughter is off to college!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
...I was hoping you'd do a mileage check, and was expecting you to report 7-9 mpg traveling at those speeds with the V-10...

I was hoping he'd say 12-14. I get 8-10 in the C in my sig.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Good review kendall69. That screw falling out of the Fantastic fan knob seems to be the nature of the beast. We've had 2 on 2 different RV's do the same. A little LockTite takes care of that issue quick.

I was hoping you'd do a mileage check, and was expecting you to report 7-9 mpg traveling at those speeds with the V-10. We had a friend just pick up a new Nexus RV 450 chassis 24'er that reports 7-9 on her way home from Elkhart to western Colorado. She had no issues with the Ford part but had to hang around the plant for an extra few days to get minor stuff fixed.

Good idea on the oil change after the hard trip too. I would do the same.

I also have the same issue with the Sprinter seats cutting off circulation to the legs after some driving time. About 1.5 to 2 hours is all I can handle anymore without getting out and walking around. Good excuse to fill that diesel up.

Sounds like a gem of an RV there you got. Looking forward to more updates. Incidentally, I would suggest you get a front end alignment before your next long trip. Almost all manufacturers recommend one after the first 4 or 5k miles with a new RV, being that the chassis was aligned at Ford with no weight on it. Maybe you can get a Ford warranty alignment, I did with our new Sprinter
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the update.

5000 miles later visiting the East coast, hitting the Hurricane rains, camping at Disney world, Being the first in at Harry Potter Diagon Alley on the 5th, it opens on the 8th.

I drove home straight through from Ocala Fl. to Baton Rouge, LA 620 Miles
Baton Rouge to Houston, TX 271 miles
Houston Tx, El Paso, TX 745 miles
El Paso Tx , Palm Springs 697 miles.

Driving those miles shows the comfort level of the RV. The circulation gets cut off to my legs in my Sprinter driving it just 120 miles to San Diego from my house. I never did feel exhausted after those long treks. I would stop have dinner, then shower, watch some TV then retire. Wake up have breakfast and do it all over again. Only stops were for fuel no lunch stops.

The final report. Where else can you buy a new RV pack only a crescent wrench and screw driver, camp and drive 80 MPH plus for three weeks and never have a problem ?

The RV was flawless. Today it's 114 degress, and yesterday it was 112 crossing the desert and the dash air was enough to cool the coach. Never needed the roof air.

We did a mix of camp / hotel room and that was what I wanted this RV to be, a cruising vehicle with the option to camp.

Never needed a toad, I was in some tight streets, camp grounds, shopping centers and never felt that BIG RV feel.

I never did check MPG gallons because we all know what a big V-10 will do, but I did pass plenty of Sprinter style RV's that were chugging up some of the mountain roads we were on, and I know the Sprinter has a governor at 80 mph which is what the speed limit was in Texas. With the monsoon winds in TX and Arizona blowing against me the v-10 showed it's true colors and never skipped a beat. I never felt that slow down going up hill against the wind like I feel in my Sprinter, I had plenty of power to spare.

Sure one trades off power for MPG, but I can say this the power was appreciated on this trip as it seems I was ALWAYS climbing hills.

90 degree temps outside with 90 percent humidity the roof AC kept it at 70 inside.

I realized with three people ( one being a 17 yo girl with tons of shoes and clothes) in a RV designed for 2 that we never ever did fill up all the storage space. We stored food, electronics, clothes, shoes, etc. etc, and still had room for more.

One problem - the screw came loose on the fantastic fan knob and fell out after many miles of rough road. Fixed in less than a minute.

So I'm home now, I'll get an oil change and off to the beach this week end, maybe Yosemite if I can get in.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations! We're saving up to buy the 2551 ourselves. Can you give me the dimension of the wardrobe from the hanger rod to the bottom? Herself wants a place to hang her long dresses.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus