cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In need of opinions, thank you

Johnny_Hurryup
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I've had a 24 ft TT, a 32 ft TT a 33ft Class A (no slides) and recently a 28 ft TT. I wanna get a small Class C. 24 to 26 ft. Mercedes diesel or Ford gas. I realize that gas is cheaper than diesel and Fords are cheaper than Mercedes' What do ya think?
21 REPLIES 21

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
OP or anyone on this thread who are concern about mpg and gas prices you may not want to RV, perhaps do tenting first before committing. Also when you do buy a motorhome it helps if you are handy since it it a home and a vehicle. After 20 years with the same unit, E450 V10 - it is a great engine - basic fluid and oil change on the vehicle is easy. If you like DIY projects buy good tools and you can fix anything if you buy Ford or MB. I love the smell of oil in the morning.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford can be serviced just about anywhere. The fuel savings for the diesel will be offset quickly once you need parts for the MB. I have seen folks trade in vehicles and buy new ones because they get better fuel mileage. The cost of doing that will take many years to get you even agin.
Fun costs money. The price of fuel is something i care little about. Once at the trout stream who thinks about that.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
lhenry8113 wrote:
We have a 24ft. Forest River Forester Class C- LE-model 2251LE-with a Chevy 450 chassis and a 6.0 Chevy gas engine. Wanted to get the Chevy because we had read stories about the smaller footwell-passenger side- in the Fords. Also, a number of complaints of engine/exhaust heat coming up through the floorboard of the Ford chassis-mainly on the passenger side. Previously we had a 29 5T Arctic Fox 5th wheel-about 30ft.-towed by an F250 diesel. Love the C- my wife can/will drive it now. Easy to get around in-easy to park-it's totally self-contained-don't need a Toad-we just take the C wherever we need or want to go. Generally, we get 9-11 mpg

I pretty much agree with what you say above, except in our case it's a 24ft. Itasca Class C built on a Ford E450 V10 chassis. BTW, floor heat is no issue at all when we turn the cab A/C on with it's air coming from under the dash directed down at the floor.

No toad necessary ... we take our little home with us everywhere - on road and off road - with hookups and without hookups.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24ft. Forest River Forester Class C- LE-model 2251LE-with a Chevy 450 chassis and a 6.0 Chevy gas engine. Wanted to get the Chevy because we had read stories about the smaller footwell-passenger side- in the Fords. Also, a number of complaints of engine/exhaust heat coming up through the floorboard of the Ford chassis-mainly on the passenger side. Previously we had a 29 5T Arctic Fox 5th wheel-about 30ft.-towed by an F250 diesel. Love the C- my wife can/will drive it now. Easy to get around in-easy to park-it's totally self-contained-don't need a Toad-we just take the C wherever we need or want to go. Generally, we get 9-11 mpg
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
8-9mpg with our 27-foot Class C is not great, but 55 gallons of $6 dollar per gallon (CA) gas is a little scary.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
We really liked the Sprinter-based class C units, but couldn't seriously consider one because of the limited towing capacity. So we bought a 27-foot Ford on an F-450 chassis with a 7.3 V8, and we've been very happy with it. Gas mileage has averaged a little over 8MPG, with quite a bit of towing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What Iโ€™ve noticed is strange (and Iโ€™m not a Sprinter guy, never owned one and no company rig experience with them) is on rv.net, it is widely said that they are very difficult to get serviced or repaired. Yet you canโ€™t swing a dead cat without hitting 2 or 3 Sprinters anywhere you look, out on the highways. And theyโ€™re generally commercial vehicles that presumably pile on the miles (and service/repairs).
It seems really odd that โ€œRVersโ€ in general have issue, but one would think that general industry wouldnโ€™t use them so widely if they were so problematic and as well difficult to get repaired.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The one thing that is for sure in this thread, is the overtly open ended question will most certainly result in open ended responses.
Even from someone who had a 2002 Chevy, presumably a cutaway chassis C, as evidenced by the 350 engine, that supposedly got 15mpg in itโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
katleman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

The Ford V10 or the current large gas V8 was never available in a "small Class C".

My 2017 Lazy Daze 24โ€™ on an E450 (V10 6.8L) would beg to differ on the usage of โ€œneverโ€.

But yes, there arenโ€™t many small Cs on a E450

Class C's came with the V-10 except for a small number of the early models that had the 5.4L V-8 as an option.

Our 2112 24' E-350 came with the V-10 and a 55 gallon fuel tank. Just about every manufacturer offered the E-450 vs the E-350 as an option on all but their smallest models. Since 2000 most small Ford Class C's came with the V-10 except the very few that had the 5.4L V-8. For the record the V-10 is just a 5.4L V -8 with two additional cylinders.From what I am seeing in the marketplace you can only get the new 7.3L V -8 on new Class C's from Ford regardless of the size until you move up into a so called Super C where you will find diesels.

IMHO: In a smaller Class C the choice between MBS and Ford comes down to how you will use it... If you are going to load and or tow heavy on a regular basis get the Ford. The cost of fuel is not much of an issue unless you are going to be doing a lot more miles than most ever even contemplate and no, an MBS will not get you 20 mpg, ever.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

The Ford V10 or the current large gas V8 was never available in a "small Class C".

My 2017 Lazy Daze 24โ€™ on an E450 (V10 6.8L) would beg to differ on the usage of โ€œneverโ€.

But yes, there arenโ€™t many small Cs on a E450
Visted via RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
That check engine light can come on if the gas cap is loose, defective, or gone. Dealer will charge to tighten it LOL!

This isn't MB specific.

F250:
- Tried tightening the cap.
- Replaced the cap.
- Replaced it again because I was told the first try doesn't always work.
- Replaced a sensor behind the tank at the mechanics suggestion.
- They can do the formal testing for $300 plus what ever needs replacing.

Solution: Bought bluetooth ODBII reader for $13 and reset the light about once a week. Takes 30 seconds to check that it's the same error and then clear it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am MB poor--have 3. Recently one of the key fobs stopped opening the doors of the Smart car. DW got it fixed as I refused after MB said $275+. I don't know what she paid. Its helpful to know how to fix them, MB, yourself. I have had them for over 50 years and can assure you that if it was done at the dealer you paid to much. That check engine light can come on if the gas cap is loose, defective, or gone. Dealer will charge to tighten it LOL! Right now it is hard to get real MB parts, I said real.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Depends on the price difference.

Yes, the diesel will likely be slightly better in terms of $/mile (diesel gets better MPG but diesel is running around 20-25% more per gallon, so any fuel cost savings are mostly negated).

Are you taking a TOAD? What is the tow rating of the units you are looking at and how does that align?

Also, how many miles per year are you looking at? To get much fuel cost savings, you need to be driving a lot of miles per year. Related, are you looking new or used and how long will you keep it?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"....this will be my last MB anything"

I know exactly where you're coming from.

I was a high-line automobile dealer for 30 years (pre-Real Estate). You name the make -- I've owned it (in one form or another).

Over those years, I have subscribed to the following, and still do:

1. I love European cars, and will ALWAYS own a European car.
2. I will NEVER own a European car that is out of warranty.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress