cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance for older coaches

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if buying an old coach, say '99 or newer I will have any problems with getting a good insurance policy. Do some some companies not insure older coaches, are their rates or deductibles higher, is there a stand out company I should consider?
17 REPLIES 17

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoushFenwayRocks wrote:
When you take it out of storage, you merely call them and they reactivate your liability and collision. Store it again, and they drop it. Whoa, what a difference... about half the premium. Loved that.

Anyone on here have any good/bad experiences with the National General Coverage? I dropped the State Farm and signed up!

So, if you're coach is stolen or broken into while in storage you're out of luck...THAT doesn't seem too smart to me...:h....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mr__Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your driving record meets their requirements they seem to insure about anything. Our previous MH was 1994 Southwind with 214,000 miles - it didn't matter to them.
Jeff, Leslie, Boston (Golden Retriever) & empty house
(some kids married & gone, others in college)
2000 Tiffin Allegro Bus (37,000 miles)
22' MacGregor, Hobie 16

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Any thing can be insured for any amount if you are willing to pay the premiums

RoushFenwayRock
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, we just bought our first Class A last week. We automatically called our State Farm agent and added it. Then found out about a company affiliated with Good Sam. I called Good Sam, and they connected me to an agent with National General. OMGosh did they ever save us money. The best part is that we can put it under STORAGE coverage any time we don't use it for 30 days. I pushed her a little about that and she was quick to say that the 30 days is not a "set in stone" rule about 30 days. They are flexible. They just don't want to have to do paperwork every week or so. When you take it out of storage, you merely call them and they reactivate your liability and collision. Store it again, and they drop it. Whoa, what a difference... about half the premium. Loved that.

Anyone on here have any good/bad experiences with the National General Coverage? I dropped the State Farm and signed up!
Go, Roush Fenway Racing!

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
We insured our first coach a 1984 Airstream Classic with Foremost Insurance Company. Our current coach is also insured by Foremost. Have been extremely pleased with their no-hassle claim service and and no major premium increases .
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
OhhWell wrote:
I thought that was gap insurance?
Every thing is negotiable but it you don't ask they won't bring it up.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

bt6845
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 98 class A insured with National Interstate, happy for over 10 years had one claim no problem, our 96 travel trailer with Foremost had one claim again no problem, we have been happy with both companies in the years we've been with them.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Liability insurance won't be a problem but if you finance just insure your comprehensive will cover any potential funds owed incase of a total loose situation. Nothing worse than owning money on something you no longer have.

I thought that was gap insurance?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
We had no trouble and also used the declared value to determine the rate. Insure it for what you would need to get out of it to replace it if it were ever totaled.

Would you please share the name of your insurance company. I would love to do declared value on my older MH. My insurance company will not make allowances for added solar, inverter, batteries, Banks Power Pack, track bars, up-graded lighting, blueray, outside WiFi antenna and the related labor.

Thanks
Richard

We insured through USAA so it's really progressive RV insurance I believe. They just asked how much we wanted to insure for. Obviously the payment is higher for higher declared value.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liability insurance won't be a problem but if you finance just insure your comprehensive will cover any potential funds owed incase of a total loose situation. Nothing worse than owning money on something you no longer have.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
We had no trouble and also used the declared value to determine the rate. Insure it for what you would need to get out of it to replace it if it were ever totaled.

Would you please share the name of your insurance company. I would love to do declared value on my older MH. My insurance company will not make allowances for added solar, inverter, batteries, Banks Power Pack, track bars, up-graded lighting, blueray, outside WiFi antenna and the related labor.

Thanks
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks wasn't sure what I was in for.

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
Insuring an older motorhome is no more difficult than insuring an older car.
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53