cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insurance trying to screw meeeeeee

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
The insurance company for the crash my motorhome was in They are trying to screw me. This rig is a (1979 26' Itasca class A ) is totaled.
But the insurance company only wants to fix the bumper. There is
Damage to the left rear corner and that would require through rear
And left side to be totally 're skinned. There is frame damage in the
Rear corner and paneling damage to the inside. They want to pay
Only $200.00 to weld the bumper back on. Ohhh help!
117 REPLIES 117

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help to think if he waited and legally plated it so it was legal on the road like rest of us. ... None of this would have happened. He had enough time to park in a parking lot and go into some establishment. His very first stop should have been the Secretary of State. He said it happened 24 hours later.

It seems like the tax payers got screwed of some fees to legally put this vehicle on the road in the first place.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Torts? Yum!

Oh wait, we're only talking about "Feed the Lawyers" stuff.

Nevermind.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's their business. It is the reason we have tort lawyers, to put pressure on insurance companies. The lawyers, however, expect to make some money too, so the size of the recoverable needs to be big enough, and in your case, 50% share on atotal loss might not be enough to attract an attorney.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
johngg wrote:
NADA Guide value is $8,500 I don't expect that much, I didn't pay that much.
I'd put a value of about $2,500 give or take a dollar or two.

mssmith1999:

You are correct.
My mind was still on the value, not his expectations.

If I had ask my insurance company for the $2500, they would probably paid a check on the spot.

However, he is dealing with the other drivers insurance which really surprises me why they wouldn't cut the check. Seems to me they would get off fairly with the deal.

While I am not in love with insurance companies, I have had a few claims without a problem and understand what's going on.

As you know claims like this happen everyday.

Just seems something strange with the whole situation.

As for Nada, KKB, True car, unless new, use them as a ballpark and sometimes they are not that close and everyone of us thinks our vehicles are special, better than the next, etc.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
Indoor pictures not posted

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the photos of the outside damage. Thought I might have missed the indoor pics.
It's his Super Power!

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
You can see the corner should have a rounded point. It is pushed in and to the right. I am doing all this typing from a cell phone. I cannot upload pictures to this site. I had another fellow here upload them. I think they are on page 4 or 5
In this post.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
The OP himself says its worth $2500 but wants more.
And he has said he wants a different RV.

Please point out where he said he wants more. I don't recall seeing that.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
The OP himself says its worth $2500 but wants more.
And he has said he wants a different RV.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned the interior damage/frame (cage) damage. Were there photos?
It's his Super Power!

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
What about the interior frame? Paneling inside is crushed. I am not worried about the paneling. I know how to fix that. But pulling that corner out is different. I don't know how to fix that.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
johngg wrote:
Bingo. That's all I'm after. Market value. Not looking to make anything on it.
I just want this to end, so I can figure weather to register it or not. It don't
Have license plates yet. It was too late when I bought it.

Do you mean you drove it away without plates, even temporary??

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
If you would be happy with $2.5K, what I would do is go to the adjuster and just tell him to cut you a check for $2000 and let you keep the motorhome. Otherwise tell him you want $2.5k and they can take it. One thing I can tell you about insurance adjusters is they love closing files with a full release so they can move on to their other work. I bet they would entertain the idea of $2k and just let you keep it. They don't want to try and salvage it anyway.

There is also going to be an issue with title since you haven't registered it and transferred title. So them cutting you a check for $2k and letting you keep the MH gets them out of worrying about that. You can then take a thousand of that and get the bumper fixed and do some type of a fix on that corner to make sure it doesn't leak, and you walk away with a motorhome in almost the same condition as when you bought it and a thousand extra dollars in your pocket for gas.

One thing I can tell you is even though they don't want to spend a penny more than they have too, two grand is petty cash to them. Especially when they know they are on the hook and they have to pay something anyway.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
johngg wrote:
Bingo. That's all I'm after. Market value. Not looking to make anything on it.
I just want this to end, so I can figure weather to register it or not. It don't
Have license plates yet. It was too late when I bought it.

You can't make this stuff up!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31