cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter/charger

ggrotz
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2005 safari 36 ft.it has a xantrex freedom 458 series.will this charge the starting battery for the motor
8 REPLIES 8

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2013 Tiffin Allegro and it is not set up for the inverter/charger to charge the chassis battery. Why do you need to charge your chassis battery. Are you going to store and be away from it for more than 2 months? If so and , a trik-L charger or like item will be need, if not already installed.

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
New to RV and bought Tiffin 33 and was surprised when I winterized it, and found out the charger only charges house not chassis batteries. This forum pointed me to the Trik-L-Start option. For $50? or so, it took me about 10-min to hook up and fixed the issue. Simple unit keeps both batteries topped off perfectly with 15/20 amp connection.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
get a voltmeter

Actually, on a 15 year old motorhome where a previous owner MAY have added "something" to charge the chassis batteries (several good options), checking with a digital voltmeter IS the best way to determine if shore power/generator does charge the chassis batteries.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ggrotz wrote:
I bought a 2005 safari 36 ft.it has a xantrex freedom 458 series.will this charge the starting battery for the motor

An old joke has to do with three groups of men being asked "Briefs or boxers?

As I recall the young men said "Briefs"
The older "Boxers"
and the elderly "Depends"

and that last is the answer to your question "Depends"

Many motor homes made in 2005 have one way isolators. Engine charges everything House only the house

Mine, also a 2005 has a BIRD type system by Intelletec Engine charges both. So does House.

Only way to find out is to measure voltages 13 is the key MORE than 13 volts after a few hours of sitting plugged into shore power = YES 12.6 or less = NO
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not usually set up to do so OEM. Easy to add a trik-l-start
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
get a voltmeter
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will if your chassis battery has a connection. Either way check the battery voltage when plugged in to verify. You can add a Trik-L-Start combiner if needed.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 458 inverter charger is only hooked up to charge the HOUSE batteries. You can run a jumper across to the CHASSIS battery so that they are also charged but remember you have a "boost" switch to start you engine if the chassis battery is dead. You can also use a separate 120 VAC charger to keep your chassis battery charged if you are using shore power.