cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverters

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
hello, we just bought a 32 foot class c. can someone tell me what inverter we could hook up for dry camping. we do have a generator that came with the motor home. but now we could use a inverter. ty
13 REPLIES 13

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Op is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
An inverter is only useful if you are boondocking/dry camping and DO NOT want to run your generator.

Using an inverter requires a GOOD battery bank ! At least TWO 6V golf cart batteries (the most cost effective solution)..
I agree.

Our rig came with a built-in Tripp-Lite 2000 watt whole house inverter/converter, and two 12V batteries. Years later, I switched to two 6V AGM batteries bought at Sams Club, and that made a huge change for the better. We do run our generator in the morning for about 1.5 hours to replenish the batteries, especially if we watched a movie on our large screen TV with surround sound the night before. While running the generator, we also generate hot water via 120V, brew coffee, and charge our cell phones. We could brew coffee and charge cell phones off the inverter, but we try to be most efficient in our use of the generator run time. Why deplete the batteries making coffee when you are going to run the generator anyway?

If we drove the rig daily, there would be no need to run the generator because the chassis alternator will take care of it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"but now we could use a inverter" What AH capacity are your batteries?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you want to operate with the inverter and for how long? You size the inverter and batteries to this.

OP , when you get a chance, We need this info in order for people to help you further.

I use a plug in 150 watt PSW inverter to operate my 40" tv plus Dish sat recvr. The tv uses 65w and the 211k recvr uses 22w.

BTW, for boondocking , if coffee is the reason, I find it easy to use a dripper cone and boil some water on the stovetop. You just place a cone shaped filter in the cone and pour hot water into it. It drips like an electric coffee maker.
single cup coffee dripper

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only ever have shore power at home, never while away, and we like to use the microwave, toaster, etc while camping for several days at a time. The MH has no generator fitted, and can't carry the Honda3000 we have from 5er days. We do have solar (when the sun is ever out), some alternator charging, and carry lots of battery to get by.

How to do that in a Class C is all about footprint opportunity in your rig, and how much DIY with RV electrical and modifications you want to do.

In ours, the batteries are under the dinette seat next to the kitchen counter where the inverter goes under that allowing short wire run inverter-battery. Solar comes down from the roof just above that with wires hiding in a white plastic tube against the wall so not so ugly.

I would carry a 2000w gen if I had one, and needed it, but so far not.

We have AGM batteries so they can be inside the rig under the dinette since the outside vented battery compartment is too small.

So we head out with 450AH of AGMs, 2000w PSW inverter, 555w of solar on the roof, and pig out on 120v off grid without having to take it easy on anything.

The big thing is that you do have to do some serious work on setting your rig up and must have a good idea what you are doing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can connect an inverter. 350 watts or less is fairly easy. To run big stuff for a short period you need 2000+ watts and it get a bit more complex with more batteries etc. I recommend something small and use the generator for large items like microwave, hair dryer, Keurig, waffle iron etc.

350 watts will run a tv, dvd, satellite, laptop, phones, ipad etc. I recommend sine wave only. GoPower and Victron are excellent brands.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I NEVER told the OP not to "use one" Just my experience and opinion(s). I can do that.

I started with "FWIW"....meaning For What It's Worth....meaning the OP can take it or leave it. I just hope it was helpful in some way.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Want a cuppa coffee on the road? Fine. Start up the genny...or simply buy a cheap percolator and use the stove. Watch TV? Use the genny. But make sure you don't annoy your neighbors.
He barely understands what an inverter is and you're already telling him how to not use one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want a small inverter, the Victron 350 watt pure sine wave unit is top of the line and a "best buy".

Buy an inverter that is 125% of the greatest load you want to run.

Many of us have a small inverter, and a large one. This cuts down on the running overhead.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Start here. 12v side of life.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
An inverter is only useful if you are boondocking/dry camping and DO NOT want to run your generator.

Using an inverter requires a GOOD battery bank ! At least TWO 6V golf cart batteries (the most cost effective solution). The other end of the spectrum would be 2 LiFePO4 batteries.

Must people also have solar panels to recharge their battery bank. Without solar, you will have to run the generator for charging.

By all means, you want a pure sine wave inverter. They cost more but work much better. I also highly recommend a combination inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch like one of the Samlex EVO Series. Disconnect your converter but keep the DC distribution panel. Just hook the distribution panel directly to your battery bank.

What I really like about the Samlex EVO Series is all connection are made in one place. Much easier to install.

Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you want to operate with the inverter and for how long? You size the inverter and batteries to this.

I have a 400W MSW inverter to watch TV for hours on a 100Ah battery.
I recommend buying a PSW inverter. My fan is noisy and coffee pot is slow on my MSW.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my motorhome came with a generator, CONverter and INverter. Over the years I never used the INverter. The circuit it was part of controlled the "entertainment" (TV area), 2 outlets in the front of the coach (including the outlet for a coffee maker) and, surprisingly, the 2 outlets in the bedroom.

Last year, i got no power from anything connected to the INverter.It failed. Seeing i never used it anyway, I disconnected (removed it) and bypassed it. No problems.

Want a cuppa coffee on the road? Fine. Start up the genny...or simply buy a cheap percolator and use the stove. Watch TV? Use the genny. But make sure you don't annoy your neighbors.

Now...my style of "camping" was to use campgrounds for most overnighters and all extended stays. That means shore power which renders the INverter useless. The few times we spent a few hours (overnight) at, say, WalMart, we the coach batteries (sparingly)... our propane heater did fine for about the 6 hours we needed it..then on the road again), the fridge uses gas or electric and we did fine without TV for those few hours.

But that's me and my camping "style". Oh...and INverters can be expensive.

INverters can fail without warning. CONverters get weak over a few years,