cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Dutch Star better

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering the purchase of a used 2010 40 ft 1.5 bath Dutch Star about 1000 miles away. These units don't come up for sale often. I would have to arrange for a house and chassis inspection and there are some possible issues with this particular unit that I would have to resolve, like 3 previous owners and the current owner is selling due to divorce.

I have looked locally at some Tiffin 40' Phaeton's with the 1.5 bath. 2011 is the first year they made these. Listing prices for the Phaeton's are about 10-20 grand more than the '10 Dutch Star but considerably more are available.

I have thought the Dutch Star with the slightly bigger engine - 400 hp Cummins, better insulation, Spartan chassis, and comfort drive to be a superior coach as compared to the Phaeton's.

Would like to get opinions on whether going the long distance and expensive of viewing the Dutch Star is worth it. In other words is the Dutch Star a significantly better coach than the Phaeton's?
DW and I have seen the Phaeton's and like them and have never seen a Dutch Star. Just looking for advice, thanks.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV
14 REPLIES 14

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin went through a really terrible period something like between 2007 and 2010. Stay away from those years. The problems are referred to as the 'Big 3'. Lots of info out there if you do your homework. I would personally take a Dutchstar over an Allegro Bus any day.
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
You're not really comparing apples to oranges. The Phaeton is more equivalent to a Ventana and the Dutch Star to the Alegro Bus.
X2

Ya, that's kind of what we found when looking. The Ellegro Bus would be a closer class to the Dutch Star.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner is a chassis manufacturer although Newmar uses a lot of Sparton chassis as well. The "motor" is most likely a Cummins as they are about the only engine manufacturer left in the big, over the road diesel engine market.

A comment to the OP. You should be comparing a Tiffin Allegro Bus to the Dutch Star. Phaetons, while quite nice, are positioned just below the Bus. The Dutch Star is a very nice coach and Newmar is an excellent builder. Just make sure when you look at the Dutch Star that all of the service records are there. You might want to consider hiring someone to inspect the rig before you think about a purchase.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about a Dutch Star. but I would like to make a comment about the Brand new Dutch Star My son-in-law bought back in about April of this year (2016)
He bought it at a place in Denver. It is a 41 footer with tag axle. First long trip was to Washington state. He broke down twice while in Montana. First was Billings as it overheated, there was a piece of plastic that had not been removed some where close to the side radiator. Left there after a couple hours it over heated again in Bozeman , this time the fan quit working. Again he was told another piece plastic had wrapped around the fan. Back to Denver OK. Next trip was to upper state of Michigan, on the way back to Denver he broke down in North Platte, Neb. This time it took a week to get the part as it was the fan again. I'm not sure just what part that caused the fan to almost go into the radiator. Getting back to Denver it was placed in the dealer ship to get checked out as it was still under warranty. next trip was from Denver to down here in Texas. This time broke down just northwest of Amarillo This time the box thing that holds the fan fell off sent the fan down all the way through the radiator out the side of the coach tore up some of the fiber glass, threw parts all over the highway. when the wrecker came to tow it, it tore up the front end as the wrecker didn't hook to it correctly. The story was that the repair done in North Platte all the bolts were not replaced which let the whole thing come loose. It took over a week to get it all repaired. He is still fighting with the dealership to make sure every thing is fixed properly, or he wants a new coach replacement. I told him Good Luck.
I believe it had a Freight Liner engine.
I always thought Dutch Star was one of the Top If the line Motor Homes.

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your reply. You guys just confirmed what I had thought, the Dutch Star is a superior rig. However the fact that it is 1000 miles away and having already had 3 owners is giving me pause. I really need to sell my boat first so I'm going to wait on this one. Thanks again.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing I like about the dutch star is a side radiator. I don't like working on a diesel while it is hiding behind a radiator

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A 2010 model with four owners is one thing I'd check out.
2014 American Eagle

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You're not really comparing apples to oranges. The Phaeton is more equivalent to a Ventana and the Dutch Star to the Alegro Bus.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What did they say when you posted this information on the Tiffin forum?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Check out EVERYTHING , go for a drive,in addition to the Tiffin you will get a side radiator!
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Check out EVERYTHING , go for a drive,in addition to the Tiffin you will get a side radiator!
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
timjet wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a used 2010 40 ft 1.5 bath Dutch Star about 1000 miles away. These units don't come up for sale often. I would have to arrange for a house and chassis inspection and there are some possible issues with this particular unit that I would have to resolve, like 3 previous owners and the current owner is selling due to divorce.

I have looked locally at some Tiffin 40' Phaeton's with the 1.5 bath. 2011 is the first year they made these. Listing prices for the Phaeton's are about 10-20 grand more than the '10 Dutch Star but considerably more are available.

I have thought the Dutch Star with the slightly bigger engine - 400 hp Cummins, better insulation, Spartan chassis, and comfort drive to be a superior coach as compared to the Phaeton's.

Would like to get opinions on whether going the long distance and expensive of viewing the Dutch Star is worth it. In other words is the Dutch Star a significantly better coach than the Phaeton's?
DW and I have seen the Phaeton's and like them and have never seen a Dutch Star. Just looking for advice, thanks.
Tim

You talk like these are the only two coaches that meet the standards, you're obviously looking for, when in fact there are others out there, as good, if not better and so popular when first sold, that there are many used ones, now available at some very good prices.
American is one of them IMO and naturally, as an owner, I'm somewhat biased towards them or at least the older models, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Never owned a Tiffin so can't comment. Having been a long time forum member I've read almost nothing but good regarding the brand as well as the aftermarket support. Exceptions are few same as Newmar. As for the Newmar Dutch Star so far I have been quite pleased. Pleased with the product, the dealer network, as well as the factory support. Best of luck with your decision.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I'll start by saying that I have not owned either, but have seen and spoke with owners of both rigs. IMO, Newmar is a better built rig so if you can get an equal model for fewer $$$$'s, I believe the ride to check it out is worth it. Good luck with your search.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy