cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep toad catches fire on interstate 15 in the Cajon pass

filadelfia
Explorer
Explorer
Read an article in todays Victorville daily press that stated that a Jeep being hauled by a motorhome thru the Cajon pass caught on fire and damaged the Jeep as well as the rear of the motorhome. Does anybody have more details as to what caused this to happen?
Thanks Don.

2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 toad.
21 REPLIES 21

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
msturtz wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
There was another RV related fire yesterday (8-18-16) on I-5 Federal Way, WA. State (between Seattle and Tacoma). A Class C RV driving S.B. on I-5 at 60 MPH rear ended a Red Toyota sedan (traffic came to a complete stop but the RV didn't stop) the Toyota was pushed under a large box truck. The fuel tank exploded on the Toyota and the people in the Toyota were trapped inside there car. Six brave people (other motorist) stepped up pulling there fire extinguishers out and got the fire out! The two people in the Toyota had to be cut out of the wreckage and were injured but alive. The Class C RV driver was citied by the Washington State Patrol for causing the accident.

I would hazard a guess that the Class C driver had not installed brakes on the toad! It makes a huge difference in stopping distance.
I totally agree with you! And the aftermath three vehicles that he caused severe damage too because he didn't want to put a braking system on his towed!

where does it mention a toad?
bumpy

There are certain opinions that are stated as fact and should be left as an opinion. Easily solved; the Class C was just following too close.

dub
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
msturtz wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
There was another RV related fire yesterday (8-18-16) on I-5 Federal Way, WA. State (between Seattle and Tacoma). A Class C RV driving S.B. on I-5 at 60 MPH rear ended a Red Toyota sedan (traffic came to a complete stop but the RV didn't stop) the Toyota was pushed under a large box truck. The fuel tank exploded on the Toyota and the people in the Toyota were trapped inside there car. Six brave people (other motorist) stepped up pulling there fire extinguishers out and got the fire out! The two people in the Toyota had to be cut out of the wreckage and were injured but alive. The Class C RV driver was citied by the Washington State Patrol for causing the accident.

I would hazard a guess that the Class C driver had not installed brakes on the toad! It makes a huge difference in stopping distance.
I totally agree with you! And the aftermath three vehicles that he caused severe damage too because he didn't want to put a braking system on his towed!

where does it mention a toad?
bumpy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:

FMCA member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Well .. tire temperature sensor and engine fire sensor are not the same.
My 1972 conversion had 2 fire sensors in engine compartment with loud bell under driver feet.
Why Jeep can't do it in 21 Century?
Home security systems do have water sensors for WH leak, so the idea of extended monitoring is nothing new.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

I think asking TPMS manufacturers about adding fire sensor would not be out of line?

The better TPMS's already have temperature sensing and alarm capability. If my TST monitor indicates an over temperature alarm on a given wheel, I'm for darn sure going to pull over ASAP and check it out. It's only happened once so far, for a sticking brake caliper on a previous toad, but I was happy to get the warning and be able to fix the problem before any damage was done.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Most engine compartment fires are electrical caused. I'm going to guess this one had something to do with either the toad braking system, or the towing light system.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeps are able to be towed 4-down. Ours was for 8 years. The front tire is flat on this one - we don't know if the fire caused it or if the flat caused the fire.

Years ago we were driving and alongside us was a car doing the frantic, dreaded pointing. We pulled over and sure enough the Jeep's tire was just about off. We were riding on the rim. We couldn't even feel a difference in towing with the flat with so much power from the motorhome.

Immediately we got a tire pressure monitoring system with sensors for all tires - motorhome and Jeep. Naturally, never had another incident. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me other, famous toad fire from about decade ago.
Don't remember the state, but elderly driver did not notice flat on his toad, not did he react to horns and other drivers waving.
The toad rim was sparking and cost several brush fires for long distance till State Police blocked the motorhome.
The State billed the driver with few million dollars fire fighting cost.
Did not hear if the state got paid.
I think asking TPMS manufacturers about adding fire sensor would not be out of line?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
RoyB wrote:
You almost have to think it is four wheels down towing related... I've never owned an automatic transmission Jeep but always had the manual transmission with transfer case that can disable the front and rear drive shafts...

Used to pull one of those alot in the past...

Roy Ken

I'm pretty sure that that was the fella that came on here the other day and asked, "I want to tow my Jeep with auto transmission and the owner's manual and manufacturer say NO but if I drive slow and am careful I think it will work , doesn't somebody here agree with me?."
bumpy
I'm pretty sure all Wranglers - all years - can be towed flat, regardless of the transmission. Mine is automatic and it stays in Park during tow.

Here is another article with some more pics Jeep fire

[COLOR=]SARCASM ALERT
EDITED for clarification 🙂
bumpy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Every Jeep product can be towed 4 down. It's something "we" make sure of. On some models you do need to have the correct options to flat tow. In this case it is a Wrangler. If it was a 4X4 model it can be flat towed. Trans doesn't matter.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
RoyB wrote:
You almost have to think it is four wheels down towing related... I've never owned an automatic transmission Jeep but always had the manual transmission with transfer case that can disable the front and rear drive shafts...

Used to pull one of those alot in the past...

Roy Ken

I'm pretty sure that that was the fella that came on here the other day and asked, "I want to tow my Jeep with auto transmission and the owner's manual and manufacturer say NO but if I drive slow and am careful I think it will work , doesn't somebody here agree with me?."
bumpy
I'm pretty sure all Wranglers - all years - can be towed flat, regardless of the transmission. Mine is automatic and it stays in Park during tow.

Here is another article with some more pics Jeep fire
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing our Jeep Liberty 4X4 four down since 2010 with no issues. It has automatic Trans and a manual transfer case. We've never had a problem. I'm wondering if this was more of an electrical issue with maybe the brake system. Looks like fire was intensive inside the Jeep. Probably more to follow.