cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just read in MH mag..

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
I just read in MH Mag that class A diesels should have their "air dryer canister" changed ever 3 years. Has anyone does this? and how often? My FIL's class A is over 10 years old and has not been changed to his knowledge.

Thanks for any input!
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

โ€œLife is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!โ€
7 REPLIES 7

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
Not really true. If you have the air release valves and open them to bleed some air out and have a lot of water coming out, yes, time to change. Depending on where you live and humidity and dampness makes a big difference.

I recently did mine but had no water from valves. Just changed to do being 2nd owner and wanted to have for recording maintenance.
y

I respectfully disagree with this. I checked mine this way, and had no moisture cme out so I thought all was ok. A few months later, I ended up on the side of I-10 with no air pressure because the drier gave out. If I had done the regular drier maintenance, I wouldn't have broken down.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Not all motor homes have an air dryer. I am sure all do that have air
brakes. However, my coach has air bags and air compressor but no air dryer. I get some water out when draining the air tank and have never had any problems with the air system. My coach is 15 years old and for the most part better than it was when new.
Busyguy

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Service/replace air dryer for TWO reasons:

Has failed= water, dirt or desiccant powder present in air tank drain.

But, just as important, every 3-4 years service to prevent desiccant breakdown allowing powder into the air system. Every couple of months, will read about air system contamination from failed air dryer. VERY time consuming and expensive if that powder gets in the air valves, air suspension and air brakes.

It IS routine maintenance.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you are not getting water from the air bleed valves you're good.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
It does make a difference as to the type climate where the motor home spends most of it's time. However had a friend who did not change the dryer filter and his rusted so badly he had to change the entire cannister, it would have been far less expensive to change the filter on some sort of regular vasis.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I changed mine at 8 years...about $35. Screw in cannister. No biggie....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Not really true. If you have the air release valves and open them to bleed some air out and have a lot of water coming out, yes, time to change. Depending on where you live and humidity and dampness makes a big difference.

I recently did mine but had no water from valves. Just changed to do being 2nd owner and wanted to have for recording maintenance.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992