cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KWIKEE STEP FROZE EXTENDED!

Edouard
Explorer
Explorer
Arrived to have the windshield replaced, bad memory returning from Florida!

Step extended when I opened the door as designed. When I came back and drove the rig into the garage, the staff pointed and declared that the step is still out.

The manager worked almost an hour trying to find the issue, I too was under the coach, only found a grey wire, unattached coming out of the control unit, with no where for it to apparently go.

Did a lot of research, and no where does Kwikee indicate a grey wire, only one post mentioned he also had an issue and noted the grey wire.

Ok, long story short, the four wired plug when handled got the step working again, so put some electric type grease it in, reassembled it, and put some black electric tape over it since it hangs right under the battery box`s., and the plug itself was showing some brittle age,
but the pins etc., in both plug ends were perfectly clean, no rust, dirt etc.

Then guess what, the step did not work again, went back under started pulling the tape off, one end of the plug dropped all 4 wires cleanly out of the plug end, appears the crimps inside the plug were not crimped at all.

Did a direct wire to wire to make today`s repair until I can acquire a new 4 way plug.
Eugene & Stella
5 REPLIES 5

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
The 42 series steps require 3 ground to work properly. Control box ground, motor ground, and Door position sensor. Position sensor on mine is black and is Normally Open. It has been faulting to closed. I inserted a switch to simulate the door switch to get me home as parts weren't available on short notice. All those grounds have to work so best bet with any step issue is to check the grounds first.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
fourmat wrote:
I believe that wire on mine powers the lights under the step when deployed if I put the lock out on on the step lights go out

Mine has a little "hockey puck" size light that the wire goes to. This light is ONLY illuminated when the steps extend and retract in the auto mode. When the steps are extended, and shut off to remain extended when parked, that light is off.

Correct. That "wire" in question is for the little "under step light" as Kwikee refers to it, and not to connect to the main, outside "porch light".

You may find out what you need to know from their website. There is a lot of useful information there...PowergearUS-Kwikwee
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
fourmat wrote:
I believe that wire on mine powers the lights under the step when deployed if I put the lock out on on the step lights go out

Mine has a little "hockey puck" size light that the wire goes to. This light is ONLY illuminated when the steps extend and retract in the auto mode. When the steps are extended, and shut off to remain extended when parked, that light is off.

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Challenger

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I'm no help on why your steps won't go in. As far as the extra wire, I installed a new controller on mine. It had an extra wire. Said it was for the porch light. When connected it would turn the light on and off when the steps came out and in.
My steps where drawing power when not in use. After a couple days it would drain the house batteries. My local RV guy offered to replace the controller with a used one for $80. + labor. He said that was half price. I found the exact controller on Amazon. New for $75.00. Installed it myself. Haven't had a problem since.