cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KwiKee Step Question

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
My Kwikee step would not extend. I crawled up under and was checking wiring. The Winnebago harness has a pigtail with a 4-pin connector. The steps have a 4-pin connector. But they have made some modification by making a 4-pin to 4-pin harness about 6 inches long and plugging inbetween the two. All lines are pin to pin except the yellow ignition wire for the steps. It has a 1.2K power resistor and a 1N4745 zener diode with a separate ground wire attached, all under heat shrink. The solder joint has broken so it is open. Does anyone have any idea what this was or intended for? I checked the Winnebago schematics, found the 4-pin connector but no 6 inch harness is shown.
See photo of the spliced in harness ??

I am following the troubleshooting steps in the owner's manual. I connect red to +12V, step moves. I connect brown to negative and step moves. But when checking the yellow ignition override it does not seem to work. Hmm, will check some more, may be a bad control module. But still wonder what the resistor and diode are for? And do I need to replace them? If so, I need specs to get the parts. I called the Winn tech support guys and they have no knowledge of this. They think it was provided with the Kwikee step. I spoke with Kwikee step, they say they didn't do it either. Oh well, one of life's mysteries !!

So I have ordered the parts and will replace, someone went to a lot of trouble to insert this, it must have been for a good reason.

TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
4 REPLIES 4

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if the magnet on the screen door is still in contact with the door magnet.
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check both fuses. Thinking the control fuse is bad or the ground for the control circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The yellow wire and the resistor will NOT stop the step from functioning. The yellow wire is just a 12 volt Ignition power to tell the steps to retract when the entry door is closed and the Ignition turned ON. The Resistor is Winne built and installed and usually is there because they are trying to prevent feedback from that Yellow wire to some other Motorhome appliance.
1. What do you mean you connect the Brown wire and the motor spins? All the brown wire is, is the feed from the Magnetic door switch
2. The White wire needs to have 12 volt power for the step to operate. Kwikee changed the inside ON/OFF switch that white wire comes from a few years ago. What they did was reverse the LOGO on that switch and reversed which side of the switch says ON or OFF. So, there should be 12 volt power to that wire when that inside switch is engaged.
3. The LARGE RED wire at that 4 wire will have 12 volt positive all the time
4. With the system connected back to original, the quickest way to determine what is going on is, With the white wire 12 volt positive and the RED positive, the Brown should have Ground(negative when door is closed), when you open and close the door that amber light should come ON when door opened and OFF when door closed. That means the control module is probably GOOD
5. IF you removed the motor and it is not connected to the Transmission, odds are it will work. A BAD motor will usually work when removed for bench testing, because it has a dead spot in the armature and by removing you jarred the armature and without a load on it will then work. Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will get you close to see which system you have. Just type the following in Google or Bing.

kwikee step wiring diagram pdf