cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaky roof, any ideas where it’s coming from ?

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow Rvers
I’m continuing my quest for a class A and have found one but has a small leak , any ideas where the leak is coming from, the roof has been redone and it’s on the side where the slide is but above see pictures. Any tips to fix thanks

Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
24 REPLIES 24

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all have a new project I’m looking at purchasing with a power gremlin, posted in a new thread looking for advise
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, if I was to purchase how would you approach resolving and stabilizing especially with the slide out there and the type of roof covering is it fiberglass or TPF , I’ve had a few campers, and how much to remediate either diy or with a professional thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes would have to get a survey done and even get a quote off a local rv mobile guy to price up to fix, I would get up on the roof as I’m thinking 10k off the price for the fox and the risk, he will probably not take it but don’t want to pay his money then regret
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, you'd have to see the rig in person I'd think and get up on that roof yourself or hire someone to inspect it for you. Then all you can do is take it from that assessment.

Other's have pointed out some good things to consider too, so you would be taking on a big project that could only get deeper once you open it up..

Hard to say. Guess it depends on how much you want it and how much more $$ you feel comfortable investing to repair it...

You could just low ball the offer and see what happens... But, then the seller might accept it! So be prepared for that and only offer if you are serious about it.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
@mitch any ideas on the best way to proceed with an offer or not ?
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know with this class A if it’s ducted ac or if I can flip the filter out and check the foam and plywood where the ac 14 inch square opening is
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi bukhrn.
I do agree with you have they covered the roof after the leak was found, the roof was recovered 6months ago that leak looks older than that, wouldn’t you have lifted the ac off and changed the gasket at that point, as you stated the wall paper has lifted. How much is this rig worth in current state or as you say find another deal ?
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
tourusa wrote:
Hi fellow Rvers
I’m continuing my quest for a class A and have found one but has a small leak , any ideas where the leak is coming from, the roof has been redone and it’s on the side where the slide is but above see pictures. Any tips to fix thanks

In an RV roof, there is no such thing as a "Small" leak, especially if it's been left for awhile, they may have replaced the roof, but looking at those photos, i'd say it has major ceiling damage, not to mention the distinct possibility of mold.
You're looking at a major chore, that soft touch ceiling would need to be replaced, at least in the 2 sections on either side of that strip, to my knowledge it's not even made anymore, so going with FRP would be a better & easier material, plus you'd have to replace the Luan plywood under it, and then you'll have to see what the block foam insulation looks like.
Plus, in photo #2, in the circle, above the right side of the slide out, the side wall paper, is wrinkled, which would indicate damage there as well. The molding below the joint strip looks rotted as well.
There may be much more also that can't be seen in these 2 photos, plus as mentioned earlier you don't know what kind of job they did around that AC.
All in All, a major PITA, regardless of what kind of deal you think you're getting, personally, I'd put that money into one that I could be using rather than spending all my time working on.

'
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"...and seller is saying no soft spots."

Soft to him could be you can't see sunlight through the roof. Best to walk away from this one IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Great advise Mitch thanks again, yes will see it in person for sure to see overall condition, my quest for an a class has had some rocky roads as you will see with my other posts. Will keep you informed thanks again
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
That would be my thought on saying it has a 'new roof'... In that, if they stripped the old one off and put a new membrane or whatever on it.. Then they would/should have had to pull everything off the roof first.. ACs, vents.. Everything..

If they just re-coated it, they could have just pulled the cover off the ACs and done deal.. But, if it's condensate line is plugged or leaking, then it's not been fixed..

Yes, being above the slide, takes that out of the equation for the source IMO.

That's why I said maybe the drip rail, but when the AC unit was mentioned by johnhick, "bingo" went off in my head.. At least enough to think that's a good place to start the search..

Might still be worth it for the right price... I saw others in the $60k range for the same year/make/model of rig, so??

Does not matter what they paid for it brand new.. It's what it's worth now that matters and condition is a major factor in the rv world.

Good luck if you go for it! Like I said, it looks good from the other pics, and 140k is not much on the engine as long as it's been maintained of course.

Since it seems to be an online deal, I don't know if you'll be able to see it in person first, but that's the only way I buy vehicles, but that's just me..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
The other twist is it has 140k miles on the engine, not sure if an issue may have been pamper3d
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mitch, I was watching iTube and slide out seals failing but it looks above the slide on the actual roof, could it be the condensate line blocked or they resealed the roof making the ac below the reroof paint. If you were doing the roof wouldn’t you have changed the seal on the ac unit ?. Always a bit cautious over leaky roofs but looking at the pictures looks like only in that spot or that’s where it’s showing
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's this ad text I found then it's a pretty nice rig otherwise by it's description and pics... They do disclose the "some water intrusion at the roof", that's at least them being open about it...

"PRICED FOR QUICK SALE – below wholesale - ONE OWNER - PURCHASED NEW:
Rare Rear Bath and a half coach. Looks, Drives, Runs Great. This fully loaded diesel pusher is equipped with a 400 HP Caterpillar Engine and an Allison Automatic Transmission, 7500 Diesel Generator, Equalizer Levelers, Outside Awning. Coach is completely loaded. TV’s have been re-replaced with Flat Screens. Purchased New in January 2005 and has been housed in Florida all its’ life. Owners are non-Smokers and non-pet owners. Some water intrusion at roof. See copy of original window sticker in photo section. Sellers will consider an Auto or truck as partial payment. This RV won’t last long at this price, come check it out today"

It might be worth going for it at that price.. Depends on how much you want to invest to find the leak and fix it. You've probably got a good amount of room to negotiate so offer $30k and see where it goes if you are willing to accept the leak repair. Might still be a good deal in the end??

Good luck! Mitch