cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of time diesel fuel stays good in tank

wagonmaster2
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the diesel fuel was treated with Stabil and Biocide last fall how long would it be safe to burn since the pandemic has cut short travel plans all this summer? For years have done this in November and started travel in March or April next year, but not this year.
And what do you do with a tank full of diesel that shouldn't be run through the engine? Never had this problem in 30+ years of RVing.
15 REPLIES 15

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure your tank is completely full to avoid condensation.
Diesel fuel does not "rot" like gasoline (new or old), so Sta-Bil or Sea Foam is not required. If there is no water in the tank, a biocide is not needed. The algae will only grow at the water/fuel interface; no water, no algae.
However, if you want to put "stuff" in your tank, go ahead. It probably won't accomplish much, but it won't hurt anything, either. It would be a good idea, IMO, to read the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the "stuff" to see exactly what is in it. Many such products consist of mostly acetone, with a little light machine oil and isopropyl alcohol. In fact, there is a website that tells you how to make your own home-brew diesel fuel treatment for about $3 a gallon!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wagonmaster2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replys Guys. Makes me feel much better now. Will try to burn up a little but will take lots of short drives to burn up 90 gal at 7.5 MPG.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the fuel in my Kohler diesel generator is well over 3 years old. I did put some biocide in it. It runs just fine.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 10 years I’d start to worry.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
On job sites our will sit for months between phases in tanks that are freely vented. Our machines are all brand new with hundreds of sensors and whatnot and they have no problems with the fuel.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has sat for 3 1/2 yrs now and just fired up last week, still has 70 gallons of fuel since sept 2016, didn't turn over twice and was running like a watch.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My diesel hunting rig below only gets used in September and sits the rest of the year. And on occasion, it sat for two or three years unused without a problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Bruce_Brown
I use my farm tractors in the Spring - once planting is done they sit until the following Spring. I've never treated a tank of fuel and I've never had an issue.

Run it, you'll be fine.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ever watch "Gold Rush"? They let those D10's sit all winter, just in and go. Nothing added.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not worry until just before ready to use. Then I would drain some from the bottom of tank. (5% capacity or so) Check that for water. If none, pour back in tank, fire that sucker up. If you see a lot of water, might want to dump that, and drain some more.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Particularly if the tank is full (to minimize condensation) you should be just fine with the Biocide you added.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I let my diesel pickup ( f250 7.3l navistar) sit for 2 years. It fired right up and I had no issues. Fuel was not treated in anyway prior to letting it sit. This is in Florida so plenty of heat and humidity.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your going to get all kinds of answers , heres mine , just let it alone. construction crews ,farmers etc let some equipt set for years m, little prime and start them up. me I,d drive the rv about twenty miles every month or so . just to keep things lubed up.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Can you take it for a Sunday drives?