cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long term Seasonal suggestions...

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in our 1st year being in a seasonal site. We have a Class A MH and love to travel but did not expect to like being seasonal as much as we are!! We were thinking of staying a few more seasons (maybe 3+?) but I know having a MH engine sitting for so long is not good. We even have thought of selling and getting a 5th wheel but we have nothing to tow it with and would still like a MH for travel in the future. Is there a way you can set up the engine for long periods of non use? The way we have to set up on the site makes it really hard to pack up and take it for a drive every few weeks so moving it at all is not an option. I can start it up and run it but cant pull it out.

Thanks!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

โ€œLife is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!โ€
8 REPLIES 8

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Winnebago new 2004 when I was working and my coach sat for 6-9 months at a time, but I did go out and start it every 2 weeks. Will that work for you? I don't know? But it worked for me with no problems! I retired in 2010 and now we use the Winnebago 6-9 months! Good Luck

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
dupe. Sorry.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
IMO, Gas makes it easier. Many of us store our MH for several months at a time. I am fortunate to have mine at the house where I can run the engine for an hour a month, disconnect from shore power and run the genny for an hour a month (with load, AC, space heaters, etc) and test/top batteries. If you cannot get to it, you can disconnect the batteries and take them to the house for charging in the garrage. Since you are in florida, if you do not get a freeze like this past winter, you could leave them in the coach and just disconnect the negs or insert cutoff/kill switches, at the batteries.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
stroza99 wrote:
Thanks, I forgot to mention that it's not a diesel engine, regular gas.

Some emergency generators also have gasoline engines. The same things apply...put in a good gasoline stabilizer, like Stabill, and exercise the engine monthly, bringing it up to operating temperature each time.

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I forgot to mention that it's not a diesel engine, regular gas.
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

โ€œLife is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!โ€

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For what it is worth, back-up diesel generators, at commercial buildings, start up and run for exercise every month or so. Obviously an emergency generator cannot be driven but the monthly start-up is sufficient to exercise the engine and bring it up to full power and temperature.
This can be sufficient for your engine but it does not exercise the transmission of rear differential. You can shift through the gear with your transmission, to circulate the transmission fluid but your rear differential can only be exercised with use.
Obviously the best thing to do is to drive it, but I think that as long as you start the engine on a regular basis, bring it up to operating temperature, and use a fuel stabilizer, you will minimize any problems that you will have with your coach sitting for an extended period of time.
I would be more concerned about insect and rodent damage that is caused by critters that tend to nest in vehicles that do not move very often.

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We are workampers and we regularly work for 6 months to a year at a campground. During that time we like to start the MH every month and take it out for a 10-20 mile drive with the generator running every couple months or so. We also run the generator under load for at least 1 hr every month.

We have also seen people who just start the MH every month and never drive it.

I believe its a good idea to drive your motorhome at least monthly just to keep everything lubricated. By using it you will be more comfortable when you do travel and there will be fewer surprises.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really, sitting for more than 6 Months is not a good thing....You might want to contact a Diesel Mechanic......we let our rig sit for 3-4 months at a time only...Full fuel tanks with stabilizer....and since we go into storage we have a solar panel keeping our batteries topped off....