cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at a 2005 Windsport 35D... questions

gadgettr1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are looking at possibly buying our first RV. A 2005 Windsport 35D, Workhorse chasis with 11,000 miles. It's with the 2nd owners, between them and the first owner it's only been used 7 times. The Onan generator has 208 hours on it. We did a quick walk through of it and everything looks like new inside. The only issue I could see is the awnings are faded and stained along with some of the lamination having issues, and there's a little fading and cracking on the decals on one side of it (sun) but it'd probably liven up with a good waxing. The window cauking by the gasket also looks a little faded/cracked. It's got new tires and a new roof. It also just got it's state inspection sticker. The current owner says it has a GMC motor but I've been trying to do research on it on the web and everything keeps saying a Ford V-10? There's been no mods done to it by either owner other than a CB radio antenna. What type of things should we be looking for/at? We are going to take a more in depth look at it next week or so. We're also thinking of possibly finding a mobile RV repair guy to take a look at it. Neither of us knows much about RVing other than our parents, mine owned a 5th wheel and hers a Class A. The current asking price is $35K. The TV's and backup camera would have to be changed/updated along with the lights (not sure how big/bad a job that would be to do).

Thanks for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford is popular only because they are the only gasoline powered chassis manufacture coming up on ten years. Either chassis (Ford or Workhorse) will get you to the camp ground.

If the awning material is original it's way past the expected use by date so don't worry too much about it. My 2006 awning may it to 2015 before the layers started separating and it more or less self destructed. A reasonable quality replacement will run around $350-$400 for material. You can certainly find material at a lower price but service life might less than expected. DIY replacement is fairly easy and there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Asking price is a bit high for a 13 year old rig even with the low mileage. $30K might be more realistic. Light usage is a bonus but with the age counter always rolling, owner maintenance becomes a higher buyer priority. If engine oil changes were based on on miles driven it might be on it's third. Recommended is 5000 miles or 1 year. Are the tires original? How are the roof seals? Giant globs of caulk or clean smooth runs of sealant? When was the last time the front axle was lubricated? How old are the batteries? The mobile tech might be a good investment and you need to be there getting up on the roof or under the coach with the tech. Wear coveralls and bring a camera, flashlight and note book.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gadgettr1
Explorer
Explorer
It didn't say Ford on the steering wheel it said Workhouse so I guess it's a GM engine. Is that good or bad lol? I'm not really a Ford fan but they seem popular as a gas RV motor.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a ford, it will say so on the steering wheel. Workhorse only used GM engines. Having an RV guy inspect it is good, but go with them and have them point out everything they are looking for, in addition get a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection, google) checklist and go over that as another avenue to know what to look for. Awnings are due for replacement about now just due to age anyway. Roof condition and signs of a leak are one on the most important to look for.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I thought you were talking about sidewall delamination. just figure the cost of replacing the awnings in your offer.
bumpy

gadgettr1
Explorer
Explorer
Supposedly the awning lamination issue was because the original owner would use a tarp over the awning and it would rub back n forth on the awning in the wind. Not sure why youโ€™d put a tarp over an awning? Thatโ€™s what the second owner told me. So thatโ€™s why he put several strips of tape on the top side of one of the awnings. We didnโ€™t go as far as deploying all the awnings and checking everything out yet. We just stopped by it to get a look to see if weโ€™d even be interested in it. I figure itโ€™ll need new awnings eventually.

Chip

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
with some of the lamination having issues

whoa, be careful.
bumpy