Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at purchasing a safe and Reliable Motorhome

Sarah_Rossi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello y’all,
I have been interested in buying a motorhome for years and this is the year I’m going too. ?? I really know nothing about motorhomes and would love some insight from experienced Travellers??
I was hoping to purchase a Cummins with Allison trans without air brakes with hopefully a couple slide outs. Does anyone know of any good models that will not push me all over the road and go up and down hills with ease. My budget is in and around 25-30k. My hubby wants to spend double. However, we will only be using it a few weeks out of the year, as we are not retired- so spending a lot doesn’t make sense to me. Once retired fair game, but for now I just want something budget friendly, safe and reliable. My grandma lives in BC and I would like to take my children out to see her and would like to hear some recommendations so I’ m confident that I’ll be making a safe and reliable purchase.
21 REPLIES 21

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
If you can wait until post Covid more options at fair $ will be available, just like other products. We have a Winnebago C Class since 02 and it is still going strong. Great memories started as a young family instead of waiting for retirement, love the lifestyle. It is a lifestyle, you will not save any money, this is a want not a need. If Class C, A, or B, just like your home and vehicle you will need to do maintenance and repairs, DIY is a big plus. I would think TT also needs maintenance and repair as well. Good luck.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps you could provide a bit more info such as kids age, how often you will use the mh, where you like to “camp”, do you have a few toys you want to bring along. Toys include bikes, golf cart, other outside needs such as chairs, tables, grill.

Many DP’s are designed for two people with occasional guests. Unless you’re set on a used DP to sit in storage all those weeks you’re not using it, perhaps a Class C or A toy hauler or a bunk house would be a better choice for your situation.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

spoink47
Explorer
Explorer
I had a pleasure to travel in Tiffin Allegro, that's quite a nice motorhome and you can find one under 30k
I'm not an advanced traveler, still that one would be my recommendation

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Check the towing capacity of any MH you consider. You may wish to pull a toad down the road.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins without airbrakes? Why? $25K - you might try a junkyard.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you rent a A for a couple of weeks before buying. A trip to gandma’s would really make you see what you do and don’t like. Try out a C also. If you are nearing retirement my guess is the kids are soon to abandon family trips. A couple’s MH layout is different than a family’s MH.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to compromise wit your husband. A 2 slide diesel pusher, with a Cummins/Allison combo at $25K is going to be hard to find.