cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a base plate

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a deal on a 2008 Kia Spectra base plate. Roadmaster is the only supplier that I've found and every web site I've checked wants $399.

Does anyone have an idea for a better price? I'll be doing my own installation. I'm not in a big rush but would like to have it done by the in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
10 REPLIES 10

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I've already bought the Roadmaster from etrailer and I installed it today. Now I know why I love Blue Ox. The Roadmaster is heavy duty but what a pain to install it and a pain to get it ready to tow. That crossbar on the front of it makes it massive. Everything didn't fit the way it should and the instructions were unclear and sometimes totally wrong. It was nothing major that a shadetree mechanic couldn't figure out but still a PITA. Oh well, it's on, it's solid and I have confidence in it and that nothing will come loose.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Try jet.com. I was able to get 20% off there a while back
Winnebago Access 24V

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
You can get good deals through Amazon. I bought for my 2017 a Blue Ox, and I believe it was a little over three hundred dollars. Really like Blue Ox.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a Roadaster baseplate om my Honda CRV but that $ 399 turns into more than $600 in Canada, thanks to our lousy dollar these days, and that does not include a $200 shipping fee just to cross the border.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Did you contact Blue Ox and check with them already? To see if the Spectra 5 bar would also fit a Spectra?

I'd be surprised if they made a towbar that only fit 2 out of the 8 Spectra's in that model year.

'08 Kia Spectra types

Yes, I called them and they are different plates.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Did you contact Blue Ox and check with them already? To see if the Spectra 5 bar would also fit a Spectra?

I'd be surprised if they made a towbar that only fit 2 out of the 8 Spectra's in that model year.

'08 Kia Spectra types
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Blue Ox makes them too and Amazon carries their p/n BX2713 for $375 with free shipping. Like msmith1199 says, not a high volume item. If you are very lucky, you might run across one on Craigslist, eBay, or something local. Not an item to spend too much time searching for though because of the rarity.

Blue Ox makes one for the Spectra 5 but not the Spectra. I had rather have a Blue Ox since that's what my tow bar is.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be quite a selection on here.

Try this.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox makes them too and Amazon carries their p/n BX2713 for $375 with free shipping. Like msmith1199 says, not a high volume item. If you are very lucky, you might run across one on Craigslist, eBay, or something local. Not an item to spend too much time searching for though because of the rarity.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
It's not an item that they sell in huge quantities. When you're only making a few thousand of something the price goes up. You'll probably only find cheaper if you can luck out and find a used set out there someplace. I sold my 10 year old Dodge Dakota with the baseplates still attached. But the guy I sold them to just bought a TT so I know he isn't using them. So if you were looking for baseplates from a 2006 Dakota I could tell you where to find a pair. So unless you can find something like that, you're going to have to shell out the big bucks.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4