cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to purchase late model diesel class a

dougpaper
Explorer
Explorer
Going for a 34-36' model and only issue i will be keeping on my property. Wide enough driveway but i have a steep entrance to my driveway and a gentle grade after the initial steep curbing. I can swing somewhat of a angle and ride somewhat on my yard to get one set of wheels higher but i will be backing up and i am new to this. Can i put a set of airbags that would lift the backend somewhat for just this purpose and lower down to stock once i am in?? My father drove a city bus in pittsburgh and they had the kneeler bus that would lower on airsprings for handicapped and elderly people than raise once they pulled away.
11 REPLIES 11

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're right there are good sales people.

To many seem to buy a RV based on their car experience which can be a mistake on a number of fronts. For a new buyer ALWAYS check the emotion and be prepared to walk. NEVER make a deposit especially on a used RV until your extensive Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) has been completed or have it done by a professional. Check under the RV for rust, flood damage etc. This is NOT a PDI done by the seller. I would expect a new wave of flooded RVs and cars on the market across the country just like previous ones, be aware.

The PDI on my current MH took 3 weeks with most of the delay due to available parts. We mutually agreed to replacing the A/C 3 months later. Dometic gave everyone the total run around on replacing the A/C under the 2 year warranty. I was ready to walk when Dometic finally admitted the unit was under recall and they were ramping up production. With a written agreement we were on our way.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Caution: Don't believe what you're told by a seller/salesman. Their job is to sell and close the deal. Getting on the property then becomes your problem. Just my 2 cents.

I don't recall the OP mentioning any advice received from a salesman(?)
Neither do I. He is however a new member and his post suggests he's a new RV person. What I posted can be the biggest mistake some make.

What's wrong with friendly advice?

Absolutely nothing wrong with friendly advice. I guess it's just that every time I hear someone say things like "Their job is to sell and close the deal" it strikes me wrong -- like all salespeople are ignorant crooks, and only care about making the sale and nothing more. Being in sales my entire life, it bothers me to hear the profession as a whole slammed, regardless of how tempered the statement may be.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Caution: Don't believe what you're told by a seller/salesman. Their job is to sell and close the deal. Getting on the property then becomes your problem. Just my 2 cents.

Neither do I. He is however a new member and his post suggests he's a new RV person. What I posted can be the biggest mistake some make.

What's wrong with friendly advice?

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you need to take some 'test' drives from a nearby dealer. I'm sure there's a dealer in your area. Try em out....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Most Diesel pusher are lower in rear than gassers of same size CHECK it out before you buy

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There have been many model variations over the years and your best option is to buy what works. Making your access a condition of purchase is a option and will likely narrow your sellers.

My 04 Endeavor had about 6" more clearance than the current rig, no air adjustment but with air suspension modification was possible at a reasonable cost. Current rig has higher interior height and it has about 6" less road side clearance.

Assuming you're asking about DPs the Endeavor had 10' of rear overhang. The Scepter has 10' to the tag and 13' to the drive. But it does have manual adjustment of the suspension at low speed so the front can be lowered and the rear raised.

Bob

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
look for National rv , good rv and are they are length look for.
Have a 2008 Pacifica 36 foot
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

thelazyl
Explorer
Explorer
Typically the diesels have a longer wheelbase and less of a rear-end overhang. Also airbags are common. I would think you'd be OK - perhaps you can bribe someone in your area to test it out.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags will raise the body of an RV not the undercarriage. Try before you buy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad