cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOUD Transmission drone at 58-62MPH

jehuty
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forum, sorry if it's on the wrong section. I googled keywords about the issue and came up a thread on this site but no one answered on it.

Issue: Loud tranny drone that's equivalent to having your brains lasered through your ear canal

At speed between and near 58-62 where 60 is the peak.

It's NOT engine related, i've ruled it out.

It's NOT tires.

Source of sound is the tranny because i hear it next to me just behind the dog house and drilling through my right ear.

It's only under load, IE, part throttle or full in that MPH range. Goes away if you let off accelerator within those ranges.

Will also note, sound is not existant when decelerating in those ranges downhill.

Vehicle:

1994 P30 Chevy 454 TBI.
Don't know what type of tranny but gear selector is 1,2,D and D with circle around it.

52k Miles.
43 REPLIES 43

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
u-joint on drive shaft.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
The 500 mile thing is for the diffs. The owners manuals for both Dodge and GM say so. I don't know about Ford, haven't looked at their manual.
When my buddy bought a new Kenworth, it said the same thing!
Bingo!:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The 500 mile thing is for the diffs. The owners manuals for both Dodge and GM say so. I don't know about Ford, haven't looked at their manual.
When my buddy bought a new Kenworth, it said the same thing!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Pinion gear in rear end if noise goes away when letting off gas. Sound will travel thru driveshaft.
Been there.

Really? Have you done anything to it?
New ring gear and pinion. This is a common problem in truck rear ends if the gears were not set up correctly or do not wear in correctly when breaking in.

Interesting, didn't know there were a break in procedure for the rear end.

If From incorrect seating, sounds like it can be fixed by readjusting with shims?

When you replaced the ring and pinion, did you kept the same gearing?

Can You also throw us a link of where you purchased?

Would like to do more research about this if there's any mechanical adverse effects left alone or ignored for x amount of miles

IME, once a ring and pinion start whining, unfortunately, it's usually there to stay. The ring and pinion gears are the most highly loaded gear set in the drive train. There is no break in period, BUT, if they are initially set up improperly, they "wear in" very quickly and start to make noise. The noise (and the ring and pinion) may last a normal lifetime (just annoying really) or it may quickly get worse and self destruct. The question to answer is, . . . . . . . "Do you feel lucky?"

Chum lee
Most manufacturers tell you not to tow for the first 500 miles or so. Why do you think that is?

In the first 500 miles, everything (1,000's of parts) is getting to know each other as well as you are getting to know them. Longer break in periods were more common years ago, but as assembly lines, manufacturing tolerances, and material technologies improve, less and less extensive today. Still, follow the manufacturers recommendations if they exist.

Chum lee

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Pinion gear in rear end if noise goes away when letting off gas. Sound will travel thru driveshaft.
Been there.

New ring gear and pinion. This is a common problem in truck rear ends if the gears were not set up correctly or do not wear in correctly when breaking in.

If From incorrect seating, sounds like it can be fixed by readjusting with shims?

Would like to do more research about this if there's any mechanical adverse effects left alone or ignored for x amount of miles

IME, once a ring and pinion start whining, unfortunately, it's usually there to stay. The ring and pinion gears are the most highly loaded gear set in the drive train. There is no break in period, BUT, if they are initially set up improperly, they "wear in" very quickly and start to make noise. The noise (and the ring and pinion) may last a normal lifetime (just annoying really) or it may quickly get worse and self destruct. They question to answer is, . . . . . . . "Do you feel lucky?"

Chum lee
Most manufacturers tell you not to tow for the first 500 miles or so. Why do you think that is?
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Any good parts store can get you a ring and pinion set.

Getting the gears is not a issue. But very few shops are trained or equipped to set the clearance.
Very true, Need a good dial indicator to correctly set back lash.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:

Getting the gears is not a issue. But very few shops are trained or equipped to set the clearance.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Been there.

IME, once a ring and pinion start whining, unfortunately, it's usually there to stay. The ring and pinion gears are the most highly loaded gear set in the drive train. There is no break in period, BUT, if they are initially set up improperly, they "wear in" very quickly and start to make noise. The noise (and the ring and pinion) may last a normal lifetime (just annoying really) or it may quickly get worse and self destruct. They question to answer is, . . . . . . . "Do you feel lucky?"

Chum lee

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change out your trans fluid, diff, transfer case.
Check trans and engine mounting bolts.
Check u joints and drive shaft.

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
I thinking carrier bearing

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That thing may whine forever---my last DP whined in the rear end for 80,000 mi while I had it. Now if it starts to chatter it won't be that much longer till it breaks.

jehuty
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Been there.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jehuty wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Been there.

Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds