cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum inverter/battery issue

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 coachman cross country that we purchased 2 years ago used. This last weekend we took a trip and ran the generator all weekend. Place we were at had no hook ups. Saturday night the inside lights kept getting super dim like they had no power even with the generator running. Sunday morning started having electrical gremlins and the generator shut off. I figured it it was low on oil which it was not. I tried to start it back up and had no power. I tried to turn a light on they were dead to. I hit the override to 12 volt and fired up no problem. Airs turned on had inside lights. Went to take a shower- we have a tankless unit and as soon as that went to heat up killed the generator again. I turned water heater off and restarted generator again with the over ride and looked at the inventor panel and itโ€™s faulted bad battery. I just replaced the house batteries tonight and the battery temperature sensor is melted. I know it needs to be replaced. Already found on line but will be checking the 2 local Rv dealers tomorrow if that have it.
Question the inverter panel is faulted for battery I see which I assume is from the melted sensor. Will the electrical system function okay without the sensor till I get the new one ? Do you have to reset the system after the house batteries are replaced ?
The inverter is the magnum s line 2000 watts.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The Magnum Inverter factory folks in Washington state are nice people to deal with. I called them and they gave me the information of two of their certified tech on the east coast; one in NC and one in OH. Took mine to the N C tech and he is a very knowledgeable and professional tech and did a super repair.

I would recommend giving them a call.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GTMADNS,

It will function without the temperature sensor.

Be careful to never shut off the inverter if the cooling fans in it are running. The fans shut down. I have soot marks to prove it above my 3000 watt hybrid inverter/charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the system will run fine until you get a new sensor installed. Probably best to disconnect the burnt sensor.

Need to closely monitor your battery voltage for a few days to gain confidence all is working as expected.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
GTMADNS wrote:
I have a 2014 coachman cross country that we purchased 2 years ago used. This last weekend we took a trip and ran the generator all weekend. Place we were at had no hook ups. Saturday night the inside lights kept getting super dim like they had no power even with the generator running. Sunday morning started having electrical gremlins and the generator shut off. I figured it it was low on oil which it was not. I tried to start it back up and had no power. I tried to turn a light on they were dead to. I hit the override to 12 volt and fired up no problem. Airs turned on had inside lights. Went to take a shower- we have a tankless unit and as soon as that went to heat up killed the generator again. I turned water heater off and restarted generator again with the over ride and looked at the inventor panel and itโ€™s faulted bad battery. I just replaced the house batteries tonight and the battery temperature sensor is melted. I know it needs to be replaced. Already found on line but will be checking the 2 local Rv dealers tomorrow if that have it.
Question the inverter panel is faulted for battery I see which I assume is from the melted sensor. Will the electrical system function okay without the sensor till I get the new one ? Do you have to reset the system after the house batteries are replaced ?
The inverter is the magnum s line 2000 watts.
Thanks in advance.
Your lucky, the Magnum 2000 dam near burned our house down.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
System does not have to be reset after replacing the batteries. I need to get a meter or an electrical guy to help you troubleshoot the charger part of the inverter. I have the same magnum 2000 inverter charger but I do not know the effect without the temperature sensor. I have to go back and re-read your post what did you replace the house batteries after this incident or before?If you have a meter or someone with a meter I can help you troubleshoot over the phone. Please call me if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help and I am a professional electrical/electronic troubleshooter.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer