Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making the move back to a Class A

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

After having a terrible experience with a 2003 Holiday Rambler Gasser, and leaving the world of Class A RVs for many years, I think I am ready to jump back in.

I know the following question is a bit broad and can start some heated debates but here it is:

In your all's opinion, what is the best (as far as build quality) class A gasser manufacturer from about 2005 - 2012 range? Preferably something that was offered on the workhorse chassis as I have good experience with the 8.1 platform. Also when did Ford stop having the spark plug issues with their V10s?

Thanks all...
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP
11 REPLIES 11

Bruce_Brown
In that timeframe, I'd look at a Newmar, and probably not much else.

Our experience with them has been that good, dating back since 2000.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
IMO, Newmar, Allegro (Tiffin).

Interesting, I just serviced a 2004 Allegro Tiffin for a friend and it is what convinced me to start looking at Class A's again.
Chris (KD7WZW)

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
The โ€œroarโ€ of a current gasoline Class A hasnโ€™t subsided IMO. Iโ€™ve driven a few. Was that one of your issues?

Haha no, doesn't bother me too much actually. Long story short, I had a horrible purchasing experience (also my first RV purchase so I was green and didn't know what to look for) with Camping World. Multiple leaks, slide seals that needed replacing and the icing on the cake was frame damage in the back...

Anyway.. I'm open to a diesel pusher, I just don't know much about them and prefer a rig I can do the majority of work on myself.
Chris (KD7WZW)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Biggyniner wrote:
Hi All,

After having a terrible experience with a 2003 Holiday Rambler Gasser, and leaving the world of Class A RVs for many years, I think I am ready to jump back in.

I know the following question is a bit broad and can start some heated debates but here it is:

In your all's opinion, what is the best (as far as build quality) class A gasser manufacturer from about 2005 - 2012 range? Preferably something that was offered on the workhorse chassis as I have good experience with the 8.1 platform. Also when did Ford stop having the spark plug issues with their V10s?

Thanks all...

Fordx never had a spark plug issue with the V10's, just an issue with mechanics that over torqued the plugs causing the threads to weaken. There are thousands of '99-07 V10's still on the road that have never had plug issues though. That said, Ford redesigned the 3V head in 2008.

I agree
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Monaco Monarch, 2011, 31'.. full wall slide. That was a top notch coach. Ford V-10. Probably my favorite of all my Class A's. Next was a 31' Winnebago Sightseer.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, Newmar, Allegro (Tiffin).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The โ€œroarโ€ of a current gasoline Class A hasnโ€™t subsided IMO. Iโ€™ve driven a few. Was that one of your issues?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Biggyniner wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks all...

Fordx never had a spark plug issue with the V10's, just an issue with mechanics that over torqued the plugs causing the threads to weaken. There are thousands of '99-07 V10's still on the road that have never had plug issues though. That said, Ford redesigned the 3V head in 2008.

Good to know - thanks
Chris (KD7WZW)

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
What size coach are you looking for? I believe the last year of production of the WH chassis with the GM 8.1L engine was in 2010.

Anywheres from 30-35 feet.
Chris (KD7WZW)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Biggyniner wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks all...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size coach are you looking for? I believe the last year of production of the WH chassis with the GM 8.1L engine was in 2010.