cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mattress

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
I apologized about all the question. but new to a class c.. was wondering about any tips on a good mattress. our mattress is cheap and odd size, thank you so much..
17 REPLIES 17

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RV mattresses are odd sizes (short queen is popular for bedrooms, but overhead bunks might have something bigger than a super king, and folding mattresses are starting to show up). Many mattress manufacturers can provide the short queen, but suppliers of some of the other oddities might be limited.

Cheap mattresses are not universal, although common at entry RV price levels; Winnebago provided my RV with a hotel-grade Serta Perfect Sleeper, short queen size. But even if the mattress is high quality, it might not be the right mattress for you. Find out the size you are dealing with, then shop mattress stores and factory outlets for something that suits you, and have it made to fit.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Made my own by ordering foam from foambymail.com

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
snow0700 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It is a mattress, not a rocket launch. Measure your existing mattress and go to mattress stores with those measurements. Test the ones on display and buy what feels best to you!
I understand its not a rocket launch. but we have a mattress that can only be 74 long, 63 wide, 7 thick. not a easy thing to find. but it will work out. thank you for your kind imput though..

Like I said go to a mattress store. Your mattress size is within 3 inches width wise of a standard short queen. That should work just fine.
thank you so much. they are going to custom make us one..

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
snow0700 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It is a mattress, not a rocket launch. Measure your existing mattress and go to mattress stores with those measurements. Test the ones on display and buy what feels best to you!
I understand its not a rocket launch. but we have a mattress that can only be 74 long, 63 wide, 7 thick. not a easy thing to find. but it will work out. thank you for your kind imput though..

Like I said go to a mattress store. Your mattress size is within 3 inches width wise of a standard short queen. That should work just fine.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Mattressinsider is where you need to look. In two previous motorhomes we have replaced the crappy stock mattresses with custom mattresses made by MattressInsider. They can make any size and thickness you need. Free shipping. Also, can make softness / firmness to your need. Custom fitted bottom sheets also available. We are quite happy with ours.
Mattress Insider
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Its impossible to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. You could have a standard, or a short queen or a standard king. The other option is a notched mattress in some strange size. Measure and go shopping. You spend 30 percent of your life sleeping, so find something that is comfortable to you, buy it and enjoy your sleep.

When I saw the commercial for their product I went on their website and they have dimensions for their different sizes. Once I was satisfied that they matched with my mattress I made my purchase. One plus is they guarantee your satisfaction which is getting more uncommon.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.verlo.com
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an 8" foam 'mattress in a box' online from Walmart a few years ago for around $200. My bed is not standard sized, so I bought the next size up then cut it to size with a bread knife. I have to tuck the cover a bit (since the mattress is now smaller than the cover it came in), but it works great. Love the mattress.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I layered Latex Foam Toppers, 2" firm, 2" medium and 2" soft. Latex topper

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
snow0700 wrote:
I apologized about all the question. but new to a class c.. was wondering about any tips on a good mattress. our mattress is cheap and odd size, thank you so much..
So you have an odd size too. Just about all of us do. In my case, not just an odd size, but also an odd shape.

My wife and I did some internet shopping and found a 6" Hometics mattress sold at Walmart on-line for around $115. It had 4.5" of regular foam and 1.5" of memory foam. Vacuum packed and rolled up, it arrived in a long box. We removed the nice zippered outer finishing cover and un-stitched the inner fire retardant cover. Then we let the foam sandwich sit for a month to puff-up into proper shape. Then we cut it to the size and shape we needed using an electric carving knife, and covered it with the Hometics zippered cover. We did not utilize the fire retardant liner. Being an odd shape, my wife quickly over-lapped and hand sewn the cover to itself to better fit the mattress.....and it still unzips.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bucking the community wisdom, I bought 1 1/2 inch camping pads and put them (2) under the mattress. Works for us.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Its impossible to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. You could have a standard, or a short queen or a standard king. The other option is a notched mattress in some strange size. Measure and go shopping. You spend 30 percent of your life sleeping, so find something that is comfortable to you, buy it and enjoy your sleep.