cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxforce Diesels Run like *&)& Away??

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Not buying today but want a MH up to about 34ft, I like the Southwinds with the V-10, but really like the Allegra Breeze with the diesel. I'm just really gun shy of the Maxforce diesels because of the bad reputations of the older Ford pickups.
I know there less reliable than the Cummins, etc. Anyway should one shy away from this engine in a MH? I believe it the Maxforce 7 engine in these smaller rigs. I'm not trying to insult anyone with these, I just don't know. Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Neighbor had one and it stayed broke, Something to do with EGR and something else. I just called him and he said to say if you have the money buy it cause it a money pit, if not find something else. Warranty paid for a lot , but he paid almost as much for non warranty repairs later.

I've also looked into Super Cs with this engine. There seems to be quite a difference on how the engines were "modified" by Ford compared to the manufactures original configuration that are in MHs. It seems that these mods directly contributed to the high failure rate.

My local diesel shop maintains a fleet of school buses with these engines and said they have no more problems then other diesels. The owner would have no issue purchasing a MH with this motor as long as it is not in a Ford:).

There are a lot of different discussion forums on these motors and the vast majority with issues are in Fords but in all fairness some are in other vehicles as well. There were recalls on wiring and some control units.

If I found the right Super C and it had this engine, I would buy it based on what I've seen discussed. But that's just me.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29829630.cfm

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neighbor had one and it stayed broke, Something to do with EGR and something else. I just called him and he said to say if you have the money buy it cause it a money pit, if not find something else. Warranty paid for a lot , but he paid almost as much for non warranty repairs later.