cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH will not start

sullivd
Explorer
Explorer
Need urgent help. Today when I stopped for gas, vehicle would not start. Could not jump start. Took battery out and had it checked. Battery good. Reinstalled battery and engine started up. Got to campground, KOA Carlsbad, NM. After setting up tried to restart engine and it would not start. NO sound of starter trying to turn over. All icons in dash are on. Any ideas as to the problem. I have already disconnected and reconnected battery. Its a 2007 Southwind on Ford v-10 chassis. All help appreciated.

Dean
10 REPLIES 10

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
While turning key to start lift shift lever up toward top of cab or just wiggle it around. The lockout can get out of adjustment.

LEN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wife had that issue once with a car we owned.. Forgot to put it in PARK

I had that issue on motor home several times... EMERGENCY START/Boost got it running all but once. That once the batteries were dead and the Boost did not have enough OOMPH New battery fixed

The other times all but one a battery terminal needed cleaning.. The factory used the wrong type of terminal (Wrong metal) and corrosion was an issue, I fixed (Changed terminals)

The last time it was the other end of the negative cable, Tech put on a new lug there too (I could not reach it properly)

I have a adjustable current battery load tester from Harbor Freight (This is the model with two gauges and a knob)

Very useful for diagnosis, found the problem every time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
engine and it would not start. NO sound of starter trying to turn over.

Same thing happened to me. REAL common problem on the V-10.

On the V-10 there are about 4 solenoids. :R

One is attached to starter and must be bought as an assembly.
The other 3 are scattered all over. On a Class C it usually is the one on the side of the right fender that goes out first.

RV mobile guy came out for mine. Here is all you need to do to find out which solenoid is bad.

I turned key as he checked output on each solenoid. I lucked out and it was the one on the fender wall.

It's an inexpensive fix. Unless you get stuck buying the solenoid attached as an assembly on the starter.

What happened to the good ole days when there was a starter and one separate solenoid.:(

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has starter relay in addition starter solenoid - in my rig it was the starter relay that created similar problems.
Kevin

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford starter relay has been one of the biggest offenders of no start situations. Under dog house.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same problem once. When you put the transmission in neutral it actuates a safety switch that allows the the key to activate the starter solenoid. The switch was out of ajustment stopping the power. When we figured it out, we adjusted the switch and it's started fine ever since. And this happened while we were evacuating the house because of a forest fire.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I found a good whack with a rubber mallet brought the starter back to life on occasion.

Never did find out what the actual problem was. Would start up in the morning just fine, travel a full day and stop for something, and it wouldn't start. New starter didn't fix it. New solenoid didn't fix it. Only thing that worked in 12 years of ownership was sometimes to just wait 30-40 minutes, other times, that whack with the mallet worked.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Check all of your battery connections and cables, make sure they are tight and not corroded. I had the same problem in a 4Runner, there was corrosion in the cable at the starter, under the coating. Removing the battery and reinstalling could have improved the connection.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That's how my starter acted on an older SUV before dying. Should be same on MH, truck, B etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Try to put it in "N" and see if it will start