cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle on stock hitch

wsthomas1
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2020 Thor Chateau 27R and I was wondering if i can put a motorcycle on a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier without modifying the coach. If so, what are my options for motorcycles and hitches. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Front-mount hitch receivers are a great option for taking a dirt bike. Keeps the the front axle loaded, keeps from overloading the rear axle, and you can see if a strap works loose. Headlights shine through the wheels, but I did add a set of marker lights and turn signals to my rack. My rack is from DiscountRamps.com
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jls
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken my Bike with the RV for several years. For my 2 cents a trailer for your bike is a good investment...
John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that hanging 500 lbs on the rear hitch of a Class-C RV is asking for problems. The typical Class-C has extended frame rails to which the rear hitch it mounted. The 500 lbs mounted on the hitch could easily add 750 lbs to the rear axle and remove 250 lbs from the front axle causing both over-loading of the rear axle and too light weight on the front axle handling problems.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but adding anything more than a scooter {read not a motorcycle} to the rear bumper is simply a disaster waiting to happen. The longer the overhang on a C the sooner it will happen. Most C's are limited to 5,000# of towing capacity and the hitch weights are even more restrictive. Even if you have a newer E450 rated to tow 7500# check your hitch weights carefully

Unless you beef up that hitch with some serious reinforcement/welding done my a very skilled tech you are going to be in for trouble. Think also of the weight redistribution placing 4 or 500# on the rear end. You will in all probability be overloading your rear axle and I guarantee you will be lightening up the front end a bunch {and not in a good way}.

The rear bumpers of a class C are truly it's weakest link and loading it up is never a good idea. If you want to bring a bike {read serious motorcycle...and I do} then do it right and invest in the proper trailer for your particular bike and coach.

I have had three trailers over the last 6 years and have towed everything from my BMW R80 RT in a homemade trailer {not ideal}, to my Harley Dyna Super Glide on a nice Kendon folding trailer with great results.

When I moved up to the Indian Springfield at 875# I outgrew the Kendon, sold it for what I paid and moved up to the ultimate trailer...

A 10' X 6' cargo trailer that is simply my new portable garage going everywhere I go and it not only keeps my Indian out of the weather, road debris and the prying eyes of bad guys it does double duty hauling Rzr when I am so inclined. Either way it tows like the proverbial dream and provides abundant additional storage. Fully loaded the bike and trailer weigh 2,220# the Rzr and trailer come in at 2,600#. I get about 9 mpg towing either way.

I cringe when I see generators and multi bicycle racks {much less a mid sized or larger motorcycle} on the rear bumpers of coaches and never follow them closely as they are all just a pothole away from a disaster that they will share with anyone close behind. :S

As always... opinions and YMMV.

This shot was taken last week at Rice Ranch in Quartzsite, for this trip the Polaris Rzr 570 was inside our next trip it will house the Indian:

:C

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
Since plastic wedges are cheesy, would cutting them off as suggested infer a knee slapping funny saying?

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Yes, you are correct. Iโ€™ll change my reply :
โ€œ Using plastic shims sounds cheesyโ€
Thanks for the heads up.

LOL !
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you are correct. Iโ€™ll change my reply :
โ€œ Using plastic shims sounds cheesyโ€
Thanks for the heads up.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
tarnold wrote:
For the anti rattle. Go to a home store and buy a pack of plastic wedge/shims used to install doors and windows. Jam the narrow end in the receiver and snap off if you want the excess. No more wiggle.

I prefer to use a large bolt with washers and nylon lock nut. Once tightened there is no chance of any rattles .Using pieces of wood sounds cheesy.

Unless you use a locking hitch pin (and I already had one failure on those) you risk losing or having someone tamper with the pin.
if you would PROPERLY read my post, I did say PLASTIC shims. And they do work.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bicycle carrier that has a square tube that mounts in a 2" trailer hitch. That square tube has a nut welded inside the square tube, a bolt holds it tight.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
tarnold wrote:
For the anti rattle. Go to a home store and buy a pack of plastic wedge/shims used to install doors and windows. Jam the narrow end in the receiver and snap off if you want the excess. No more wiggle.

I prefer to use a large bolt with washers and nylon lock nut. Once tightened there is no chance of any rattles .Using pieces of wood sounds cheesy.

Unless you use a locking hitch pin (and I already had one failure on those) you risk losing or having someone tamper with the pin.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-steel-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-600/

We have a class 3 hitch on our class C and use a motorcycle carrier with a 600lbs max capacity with my wife's Suzuki Boulevard S40 (maybe 450lbs soaking wet) ...

You have a lot of faith in your hitch and that device ! Maybe if it was a Class IV hitch and the carrier had some extra reinforcement.

I would custom make something similar that would have 2 arms that connected to the frame rails.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're limited to the tongue weight. My 2017 thor 23u says 500 lbs. Tow weight is 7500 lbs. Usually 10% of tow weight is normal but a lot of these RV's have extensions added to the back.

FWIW I use a ultimate mx hitch rack, holds the bike by the foot pegs. Goes on tight, doesnt wiggle like those with nylon tie down straps, doesn't come off. Safe and easy no tip over hazard like on a ramp style. Just jack it up.

I've used it many years. Carries my ktm 500 (260 lbs) ktm 625sxc (340 lbs) and my xr650r (308 lbs . Personal favorite)like not even there. All my bikes are dual sport, street legal. I suggest you get a dual sport of which there's many varieties. Been a lot of places, seen a lotnof country. Also the rack is useful if you gotta fix a flat tire.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
How big a bike?