cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome hitch receiver has play in it

becker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 08 Monaco Dynasty..... the hitch is rated at 10,000 lbs.... I have a Roadmaster Blackhawk All Terrain 2 Towing system.... when I slip my Roadmaster hitch bar into the receiver on the coach, there is a little play left to right.... very little, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch.... a poster on this blog had the same problem.... he solved it by using another type of lynch pin.... after you inserted it you tightened a nut and it held the tow bar very tight in the receiver and it eliminated the play in the hitch (I may not be explaining the lynch pin correctly).... my question is: has anyone had this problem and solved it in this manner? Thanks
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
30 REPLIES 30

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
that right there would probably do a better job than anything I have seen mentioned above. After all the problem is in the inside of the receiver.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Cut some 2" wide strips from an old plastic qt of oil, slipped them in the top/bottom/sides of the receiver...all is quiet.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been loose 14 years. Gonna be loose another 14 years...I hope, unless I kick the bucket.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for several years without issue. Quiet Hitch

I tried another brand, but it moved around. The Quiet Hitch takes a few minutes to install, but I leave it on the entire trip. Without it, I could feel the slop when taking off from a stop.

I have a second one I use when we carry bikes in the toad hitch. It secures the bike rack so it's not bouncing all over the place.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
I use the U bolt type immobilizer and it makes the assembly tight. I am using the hitch part of the Hydraliftto flat tow and I think it's a softer steel than the hitch on the coach. The pin hole was slightly elongating from side to side movement and this has helped.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would replace the hitch pin with a 5/8" grade 8 fine thread bolt and nut and tighten the heck out of it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine has been loose for 15 years and the DP never moves without something attached so my guess is it don't matter other than you know it should be tighter.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a lot of slop in my hitch. Should I consider replacing it or snug it down? Where does one find a new hitch? I examined mine and found no identification on it.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I too hated the wobble in the hitch when I inserted the reciever. Drilled a 5/8th hole through the top of the hitch close as possible to the collar of the hitch and tapped it so the 5/8th bolt would screw down to the top of the reciever. Tightend down the bolt and no more wobble. Cost to me was nothing as I had the parts and maybe 15 minutes of work.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

et2
Explorer
Explorer
What ever play you have at the hitch can lead to more movement out at the toad. It might be a little at the hitch but could be inches the further out the tow bar goes. Add a drop hitch or riser and it could be a lot.

We use the Blue Ox immobilizer - it works. We've read many posts of toad towing issues. IMHO sloppy towing setups are part of the problem. I've never had one problem and the toad tracks straight without side to side movement.

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
How critical is it to eliminate this looseness? I donโ€™t care about rattle (canโ€™t hear it on a DP with the engine right there). But I am concerned about possible metal fatigue after years of towing with a loose connection. Anyone heard of receiver failure because of a loose fit?
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Quiet hitch worked for me.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.\
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider. \
\
Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch hauler came with this type of anti-wobble hitch pin. The u-shaped thing slides into the hitch. The hitch pin is threaded and pulls the hitch tight to the receiver without distorting either.

http://ultimatemxhauler.com/product/anti-wobble-locking-pin/

Cliff

What_Next
Explorer
Explorer
I use these on bike rack and main hitch. https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Roadmaster/RM-061.html
2008 Southwind 32v