cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving forward with flooring replacement

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 20 years the RV flooring is going to be replaced.
We picked out a carpet that is easy to clean and we are going to replace the white ceramic tile with Black Galaxy granite tile.

We are replacing the front step carpet and rubber covers.
Carpet will be same as rest of RV

Step covers will be 3/4 inch Black Galaxy granite.

I am also thinking of adding LED lights in the step area, have not figured it out yet other that being able to wire to existing light wiring.

Planning on spending around $8k for materials and labor, but we will see.
The good part is that all work will be done at my house so I will be able to check on the progress and quality.

I was thinking of replacing the couch but I will need to take it apart and maybe cut it up as my door width is very small.

Also not sure what I can bring in through the door, RV furniture or house furniture, we will see.

If you have done this let me know some lessons learded
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
23 REPLIES 23

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update on the floor replacement:
I wanted to make sure I used the correct materials for the tile floor so I called the big boys.

Millennium Coach and Marathon Coach and asked how they attach granite tiles to their buses.

Both were super helpful and based on their process I am using the following:

First a primer is applied to the plywood, Protecto Wrap 6000 Primer
Next Protecto Wrap Whisper Mat CS is applied
Next is Mapei kerabond mortar mixed with keralastic
Then the tile is put down

Based on the input from the high end RV guys this combination of the whisper mat and keralastic does a great job making sure the vibrations and flexibility can handle the bumps and turns for an RV.

I will post pics as the project moves forward.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open Spaces - Carpet and Tile is $4700, Granite step covers is another $500.

We got nice stuff
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
I had my couch and dining chairs reupholstered this year the couch was flexseal don't know about the chairs. The biggist problem I had was the automotive shop said to take it to a home furniture shop and the home shop said take it to a automotive shop, found one in Kansas City Kansas that did both. I took it apart and they reupholstered the separate parts and I reassembled it inside the MH. the biggest problem I had trying to use residential furniture was my space was limited and most had big puffy arm rests. They did an exhalent job In about two weeks

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding your furniture question, most furniture for RV's comes in pieces that you assemble after getting it inside. We had 2 sofas sitting across from each other. I removed one and replaced it with 2 theater seats. Much more comfortable watching tv now.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Gottahaveit
We just replaced all the carpeting and tile in our MH with LVT a few months ago. What a great decision and upgrade it was. We had it done in Junction City OR and they did a fantastic job. Looks brand new
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Don't know about where you live. But $8,000 for what amounts to about a couple hundred dollars in carpet and a few tiles seems like you're being taken to the cleaners on labor.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of my floor is carpet, just a small amount of tile in kitchen and bathrooms so the weight will not be an issue.

I really don't like the look of the wood flooring, sorry just my preference

As far as the cracking goes the sub floor is built up at least a half inch in the kitchen and none of the tiles have ever come up or cracked.

From talking to several RV reno companies I should be good with the granite.
But I am buying extra just in case.

I will let you know if it becomes a problem
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Granite tiles? How much do they weigh?
Pianotuna is right, they may not hold up to the flexing and vibration of a MH.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd be concerned about the floor flexing and cracking the tiles.

I used a high quality plastic faux wood for the floor replacement.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.