cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from 5th Wheel to Sprinter based Class C

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking into "downsizing" from our 31 foot 5th wheel / 2500HD diesel set up to a Sprinter based class "C" with a flat towed vehicle. Are there any out there that have made this transition? Wondering about your experience. It is a lot to think about (licensing, insurance, swapping truck for a towed vehicle, towbar/braking solutions, etc.). It sounds like weight will be a bigger factor that current set up because of the limited cargo carrying capacity of these motorhomes?
28 REPLIES 28

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP....Just find a nice Sprinter mounted C or B+ and go for it. I spent many years before I retired, towing a 40 foot fifth wheel all around the West chasing my job. My wife and I lived in it full time. After retirement we wanted to travel about for us, at the pace we wanted. We made one extended trip with the big FW and right away we knew there was a change in our future. While we were very good at setting up and getting road ready, it was just a lot of work to move every day or two or three. We bought a small C,(before Sprinters) and never looked back. It was like being set free. We also learned that we had far, far too much stuff with us. I had tools and parts and supplies to almost rebuild the damned 5th wheel. Not necessary. There's a Home Depot on every corner and a Walmart next door. With your cellphone Amazon will put a part at your site in two days.

The first C you buy won't be your last so don't over-think it. After you travel in one for a while you will get to know what fits your style and will likely trade that first one off and get "the" one. Post a picture of your new ride when you get it.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

KIDZBOX
Explorer
Explorer
We are moving from a 35ft TH and F250 diesel to a 24ft Navion IQ. I think'll need a 20ft trailer to make up for the lack of space 🙂

But seriously, emptying my TH getting ready for sale there was stuff in there I had no idea I had.
2005 Raptor 3512 FW TH

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
tbr2015 wrote:
We are looking into "downsizing" from our 31 foot 5th wheel / 2500HD diesel set up to a Sprinter based class "C" with a flat towed vehicle. Are there any out there that have made this transition? Wondering about your experience. It is a lot to think about (licensing, insurance, swapping truck for a towed vehicle, towbar/braking solutions, etc.). It sounds like weight will be a bigger factor that current set up because of the limited cargo carrying capacity of these motorhomes?

We did this, to a 25’ gas C. The fiver is better when you’re camped. The C is better when you’re on the road or moving a lot. Honestly I see that as the biggest decision point.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cost, think in overall terms. Sprinter apples to apples = more than a E350 chassis. Are you looking Sprinter to save fuel? If so, do the math and see if the addl purchase price and perceived sale price vs fuel savings makes sense.
Or if you're just after a Euro rig look vs a Frod or Chevy van look, that's cool too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
tbr2015 wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback. It is very helpful. To answer the "why" question. We are looking for something that is easier to drive (is it with a toad versus the truck/trailer?), without the hassle of hooking/unhooking the 5th wheel, something in the 25 foot range could get into more campsites than our truck/trailer, we have not seen any good smaller 5th wheel trailers (layout/quality) in a 25 foot range, some of the features like a built in generator sound good. I agree with the servicing stories - you can find stories about all types. We want to stick with the 25 foot range because we want something more nimble.

While all the folks were asking "why?", your reply is as expected. More mobility.
Toads tow easy in general. It ain't like having a 5ver on the hook, but you'll also be at the upper end of the capabilities of a little Sprinter C pulling a substantial size vehicle, so keeping the toad small is paramount to the experience, IMO.
The size of rig you're contemplating is generally about the size chosen so folks don't think they "need" a toad. And I'd agree in general, but it's all about your uses and what and where you explore.

The main anomaly of a toad as a trailer vs any actual trailer is, you're seriously limited in backing up. You can do some ancillary straight backing, if needed, keeping an eye on not getting the toad out of whack and jack knifing it, but any time you have to back up and turn, toad needs to come off.

What you're getting is reasonably the smallest full featured package camper that has enough room that you don't need to sit on someone's lap. If you're good with say half the space of your current rig, go for it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tbr2015,

There are many youtubes to view for selecting tow bars. The link here is informative and shows how to remedy a few snags that can occur.

Blue Ox tow bar setup

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your feedback. It is very helpful. To answer the "why" question. We are looking for something that is easier to drive (is it with a toad versus the truck/trailer?), without the hassle of hooking/unhooking the 5th wheel, something in the 25 foot range could get into more campsites than our truck/trailer, we have not seen any good smaller 5th wheel trailers (layout/quality) in a 25 foot range, some of the features like a built in generator sound good. I agree with the servicing stories - you can find stories about all types. We want to stick with the 25 foot range because we want something more nimble.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
As BFL13 suggested…rent one. I think that’s the best advice . Especially now that owners here have relayed their good experiences with Sprinters.

You need to check the long haul comfort for two people with seating and sleeping space. That’s where we all spend 50% of our life. If your passenger is not comfy it wont matter too much if your bath is wet or dry.
You now also have non Sprinter general class C info that was provided from others like myself, that offer things you may or may not have thought of.

Driving one loaded up as you plan to use it will allow its suspension to work . It will probably drive better than short test , driving an empty one from a dealers lot.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Have you considered a smaller 5th wheel or bumper pull and keeping your truck?

I think this gets to the point of...why are you switching?

If we know why, we can provide better feedback.

Yes, correct.

I could have blurted out my opinion, based on my use and my experiences and preferences, but I want to actually be helpful to the OP.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Wives vs wet baths.... Yea. They hate them.

Fortunately there are plenty of Sprinter Class C's available with regular bathrooms. (Class B's not so much)

One of the many reasons we went to a Sprinter based C, instead of a Sprinter B. Dry bath. Nice! 🙂
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Wives vs wet baths.... Yea. They hate them.

Fortunately there are plenty of Sprinter Class C's available with regular bathrooms. (Class B's not so much)
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"The V10 has been out of production for several years now"

. . . depends on what you consider 'several' years -- one of my neighbors just bought a new 2021 Jayco Class C with a V10, and I'm sure there are plenty of other manufacturers that used the V10 well into the 2021 production run.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Max torque between 1400 and 2200 RPM, and max HP in the 3800RPM range. With a Ford V10, it's 4000RPMs plus, to get the maximum performance, with minimum fuel economy, Quieter, cool running, and efficient.

The V10 has been out of production for several years now. Yes, there are a lot still on the road which proves their durability.

Godzilla isn't much better, in torque, HP, and fuel economy. Still needs to rev up to do it.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Even Ford has tried to emulate the Sprinter with their Transit cab chassis and vans.

The Transit has been in production in EU since 1965, long before the Sprinter which did not go into production until 1995.

It was closer to an overweight Transit Connect in appearance, when it was introduced in 1965 in Europe (the EU didn't exist back then) and was not as pretty as the 2013 models, that were introduced in North America, to mimic and compete with the very successful MB Sprinter.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
cptqueeg wrote:
Have you considered a smaller 5th wheel or bumper pull and keeping your truck?

I think this gets to the point of...why are you switching?

If we know why, we can provide better feedback.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV