cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a bit of 'educating'...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice on when/where to use 'tow/haul'. Use only when ascending/descending hilly areas? Keep it off when on flat roadways? Exactly what does it do i.e. does it restrict the transmission from it's highest gear? Keep it on all the time when towing? Thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 5 star tune in my V-10 Excursion with the 4 speed auto. it made a world of difference in how it towed the trailer. We now have a 2012 class A with the F53 V-10 and 5 speed auto. the tow haul is amazing in how well it handles the V-10 and the weight of the MH. I tried it with and without. without it shifted normally, but I was on flat ground in the Midwest. I was also 1500lbs less than what I would normally weigh and no toad. I`m sure I will always be using T/H. whether or not I want to get 5 star tune has yet to be determined. I`ll wait till I get some miles on it before I decide.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
G-Dad wrote:
A motor home is always โ€œhaulingโ€. Nothing wrong with using it all of the time.

I called the Ford RV hotline and asked their opinion. They agreed. Since most motorhomes are within 10% of max vehicle weight when loaded and also when towing, they recommend using it all the time. They also recommended schedule 2 (severe service) maintenance schedule.

One of our members has a transmission temperature gauge. He says when he's in tow haul the trans temperature is much lower, so he uses it all the time. I think that's a good idea. Lower trans temp usually means longer transmission life. I use it all the time and it's so nice, particularly if you need to slow down quick;tap the pedal drop a gear then repeat.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
When you use the T/H button it will increase the engine rpm, on my rig it changes just under 600 rpm. I watched today to verify that it is locking out the 6th gear and will let the shift points go farther before any upshifts. When I'm rolling on what would be a flat I shift it off, to lower the rpm's. Any grades or hills, before I hit that incline, I shift it back on.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
What happened this time? Usually have at least one person say that they never use it. For me, if I have a trailer on the back, have a load on the truck, or I am in hill country, I am always in tow/haul.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
Need advice on when/where to use 'tow/haul'. Use only when ascending/descending hilly areas? Keep it off when on flat roadways? Exactly what does it do i.e. does it restrict the transmission from it's highest gear? Keep it on all the time when towing? Thanks!

Great info from all. Many thanks! Nothing like receiving a bit of free 'education'.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

Great info from all. Many thanks! Nothing like receiving a bit of free 'education'.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
One more reason to use it is a bit more braking in a panic stop no matter where you are, that seems like a good idea. Donโ€™t ask me how I know this.....
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I only use tow haul when going down mountain passes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Tow/haul causes the trans to stay in lower gears longer under a load so as to keep the RPMs up where the engine develops more power. Perfectly OK to leave it on and let the computers determine when to shift better than you might though MPG might go down a tiny amount. Also OK to turn off and on if you wish. If you leave it on all the time the trans might never shift into the highest gear but that's OK too if the engine is laboring.
Jayco-noslide

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
G-Dad wrote:
A motor home is always โ€œhaulingโ€. Nothing wrong with using it all of the time.

I called the Ford RV hotline and asked their opinion. They agreed. Since most motorhomes are within 10% of max vehicle weight when loaded and also when towing, they recommend using it all the time. They also recommended schedule 2 (severe service) maintenance schedule.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
While not specific to your MH I find tow mode most beneficial in my truck towing the TT when going down grades. I will use it not towing going down grades too, saves the brakes. I donโ€™t notice any real benefit going uphill.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is off Fords site.

The tow/haul mode reduces shift cycles. Depending on the truck, it may also boost torque and engage an engine braking mode to help drivers maintain control while driving up and down hills. In general, the tow/haul mode changes shift points to higher RPM limits. This helps you keep moving as you haul your trailer.

If on flat ground you should get better mileage with it off.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use it all the time as it really saves the brakes. You can go without when driving at slower speeds if you're confident in your brakes. It doesn't prevent using higher gears. The 5 Star Tune is great for the older 4 and 5 speed transmissions. Reviews when installed on 6 speed transmissions don't seem to be as conclusive, but worth looking at. But, when cruising at highway speeds, the tow haul mode is a definite safety factor and I suggest using it.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

G-Dad
Explorer
Explorer