cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need help! 2012 Itasca Reyo not charging house batteries

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
leaving in couple days and house batteries less than year and a half old not charging. Will charge when plugged in to shore power but not when driving down the road. Replaced the trombetta battery isolator solenoid with a napa ST80 as researched on other websites but still no go. the ST80 is showing charging voltage on one side of 14.5 volts while running but the other side is still 11.7 volts which is the current house battery voltage, and the small terminal has nothing showing. The large fuse near the house batteries is good. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

jasson
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
leaving in couple days and house batteries less than year and a half old not charging. Will charge when plugged in to shore power but not when driving down the road. Replaced the trombetta battery isolator solenoid with a napa ST80 as researched on other websites but still no monopolygo. the ST80 is showing charging voltage on one side of 14.5 volts while running but the other side is still 11.7 volts which is the current house battery voltage, and the small terminal has nothing showing. The large fuse near the house batteries is good. Any ideas?

Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue with your house batteries not charging while driving. I understand your frustration, especially considering the relatively young age of the batteries. You've already taken some proactive steps by replacing the trombetta battery isolator solenoid with the Napa ST80 and checking the voltage readings. However, it seems that the charging voltage is not transferring to the house batteries despite reaching the solenoid. To further investigate and resolve the problem, I recommend checking the connections between the solenoid and house batteries, ensuring they are secure and free from corrosion. Additionally, it might be beneficial to inspect the charging circuit for any potential issues, such as a faulty relay or wiring problem. If these steps do not yield a solution, consulting a professional RV technician would be a wise next step to identify and rectify the problem. I hope this guidance helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or require additional assistance.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is well.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
follow up: rather than chase gremlins I ended up running a new wire to the small terminal on the solenoid. I made sure it was a switched power circuit and not a constant power one. I used a wire going from the hydraulic reservoir solenoid for the jacks, which one terminal is hot when key is on, and ran it a couple feet over to the isolator small terminal and now it charges just fine

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
When you are running the engine there must be 12 volts on the small wire. Should come from accessory circuit some where.
al

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
yes

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Has it ever charged them in the past while driving?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes