cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need to patch my black tank

Ryan7361
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally drilled a hole in my black tank! What do you suggest for a patch? It's only a 1/4" hole. I'm sure there is a thread covering this somewhere, but I can't find one.
17 REPLIES 17

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
"grate" ?

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
only 1/4 " hole use a tire pluging kit should work grate

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just get a roll of Eternabond. Many hardware stores are now carrying a 2" by 10 foot roll.

Cut out a square, clean the area, stick it right over the hole. Done.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Use Shoe Goo or Goop That's all I use for adhesives anymore. You'll be good to go.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure the black tank is EMPTY before you start looking IN the hole..:W:W...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Quite some years ago, the black tank on my Travel Trailer got a crack in it. At the time, U-Haul serviced RVs...and taking it to them, they had a "plastic welding kit". Once they found out what kind of plastic the tank was,(the kit included a number of different welding rods) they "welded" the crack (maybe 6 inches long) it with this thing...and never a problem for the 4 years later than I had it.

Watching the guy do it, it didn't look very hard to do at all. 15 minits start to finish.

just FWIW.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a screw into the FW tank on my camper several years ago. Used a hot glue gun to fix it. Let the gun get nice and hot, then shoved the tip into the hole and let it melt the tank plastic. Then pulled it out while squirting a liberal amount of hot glue into the hole. Left a nice big gob on the outside. Hasn't leaked yet.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

rjdlooking
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any auto supply store and pick up a tube of black windshield adhesive. used it on my gray tank worked like a charm pluged a hole about 7/16" and no leaks

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the well nut from the link above. To ensure a permanent fix coat the threads with Locktite 242 when installing. Easy fix..assuming, since you got a drill in there, you can also get a screwdriver in.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a choice - stainless steel only. Even brass will be eaten by some household cleaners.
With access on both side I would run machine bolt with big washers and gaskets used on toilet tanks.
That will make lifetime fix. All others will be something you might have to worry about again.

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sheet metal screw, rubber washer, and a light coat of Permatex.

Picked up on and used a variation of the sheet metal screw idea from other car buffs years ago when I discovered a pinhole leak in the top of a fuel tank of a my daily driver classic car until I could get a replica tank. I used the old style gas tank caulk under and on the rubber grommet, then applied a good quarter inch thick layer of the caulk over the whole screw head.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan7361 wrote:
I accidentally drilled a hole in my black tank! What do you suggest for a patch? It's only a 1/4" hole. I'm sure there is a thread covering this somewhere, but I can't find one.

This should do it -- a good hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot

Stainless or brass, don't want it to come loose later - they are great - I used them to attach the Solar Panels on my unit 10 years ago.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
If it's around the top of the tank what about Eternabond? A friend of ours used it on there Gray tank and it held. Good luck I hope you get it repaired.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what adhesives you could use but there are rubber inserts that can be put in the hole. You would probably have to drill the hole to at least 3/8". The inserts are round about 1/2" long with a flange at one end and a brass thread insert in the other. Put this in the hole then thread in a machine screw with a flat washer, tighten it up and the insert expands sealing the hole. If you can't find this contact "Horst Miracle probes" and purchase one of their tank probes to seal the hole.
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo