cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Guy with 1990 Fleetwood Southwind

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
My brother acquired a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind recently and I'm trying to help him get it road ready. I'm fairly sure it is the Ford chassis. Overall, this unit seems to be well maintained at 54,000 miles.

Where can I get the chassis specific manuals? I found the generic manual on the Fleetwood site but it doesn't provide much information about the Ford chassis. I plan to replace all the fluids (engine, coolant, brake, power steering, etc) and filters. None of that scares me, I just need to know the specifications of what to use.

I already know we need to replace the fuel pump. The threads on that issue in the forum have been quite helpful. Yes, it definitely needs it.

How well will this motorhome do going over mountain passes?

How do I know if the batteries need to be replaced?

Can anyone suggest a maintenance facility in the south Denver area? This would be for things like alignment and other items that are beyond my ability.
2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB S4
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L
9 REPLIES 9

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
Quick followup: We got the Southwind road ready and through the grapevine someone found out we had it and put in an offer we couldn't refuse. So we sold it. The information provided was helpful and was passed on to the new owner. Thank you to everyone that posted in this thread.

imgoin4it, I'll be using All Stars RV soon. Thank you for the tip! I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB (toy hauler) that is in good shape. I went down and talked to the service manager at All Stars RV last week and he was helpful. They're busy but I'm not in a hurry.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
HRTKD wrote:
darsben, thanks for the links. The tires are brand new!

RLS7201, the engine is fuel injected. So that means it must be the F53 chassis, right?

Yes, a 1990 F53 chassis is fuel injected with E4OD 4 speed OD transmission. The only other option is a 1991 Oshkosh chassis under a 1990 coach with fuel injection and 3 speed C6 tranny. Soooooo what transmission do you have?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
HRTKD wrote:

RLS7201, the engine is fuel injected. So that means it must be the F53 chassis, right?

You have me thinking here. My 1990 Southwind is on a 1989 Chevy Chassis.
It is common for the year of the motorhome to be one year newer than the chassis year. It is quite common and legal, it is the correct way for the rig to be registered, THE 1990 Southwinds on 1989 Chevy chassis are carbureted. The 1991 Southwinds on 1990 Chevy chassis are Fuel Injected I believe..
So go to http://www.carfax.com/ and put the Vin in the box. It will give you the year, engine size and manufacturer of your chassis for free.
Anything else cost money but the basic info is free
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If your Southwind has a Ford 460 engine, it could be on a Ford F53 chassis or an Oshkosh chassis. If Ford F53 chassis it will have a 4 speed E4OD OD transmission and fuel injected engine. If it's on a Oshkosh chassis it will have a 3 speed C6 transmission and a carburetor. Freightliner owns Oshkosh and offers support. There are Ford chassis CDs on the internet. Can't help with the Oshkosh chassis.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have a 1990 southwind on a chevy chassis

Most service/owners manuals can be found at
http://bryantrv.com/docs.html
I do have some manuals that I can scan (one page at a time) if ou cannot find something .

Genny troubleshooting guide is at

http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onanrvtshootgd608.pdf
PS HOW OLD ARE THE tires on your southwind? over 5-7 years old the tires need to be changed. Yes I know there is plenty of tread on them but the sun deteriorates them. I had 4 blow outs my first long trip.
If yours has 8r/19.5 I can tell you where to get decent tires at a good price. PM me with any questions
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Check out Allstars RV which is in a small town (village?) South of Denver on 85 in louviers. Had work done there some years ago and was very pleased. They did chassis work but am not sure to the extent

Thanks for that tip. They are fairly close to me. I had no idea they were there.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Allstars RV which is in a small town (village?) South of Denver on 85 in louviers. Had work done there some years ago and was very pleased. They did chassis work but am not sure to the extent
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats to your brother on the new Southwind. Nice of you to help him get it road-ready.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!