cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Itasca on Ford chassis creaks and groans at night.

olburro
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Itasca Sunova on a 22,000 lb. Ford Chassis creaks and groans at night. It seems to happen late in the evening when the outside temperature cools down. I am thinking it is something in the suspension that is contracting. It makes a loud thump noise and sometimes you can feel the motorhome shudder.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any solutions?
Olburro
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C
2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/Remco driveshaft disconnect & SMI towbrake
10 REPLIES 10

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, it is probably the LCI hydraulic jacks. Common issue. Not necessarily an easy fix. Some fix easy, others don't. My bighorn 5th wheel had it real bad, and I added all sort of recommended fixes...it got better, but didn't fix it 100%. My current Winnie doesn't seem to even have the issue. Go figure.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was making the same noise when the jacks were close to full extension. Simple solution was if a site was very unlevel I use some blocking so the jacks don't have to fully extend. Buy one pt 2x8 and cut it into short pieces. Bingo, noise went away.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting the outcome, people often don't.

Happy traveling!
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

olburro
Explorer
Explorer
The Jack manufacturer recommended partially replacing the fluid with hydraulic fluid with "anti-stickage" properties. Now there's a new word for you.

I ended up using Maxima fork oil, one of their recommended oils. That turned out to be Harley Davidson shock oil, and it worked.

Thanks for the help from all of you.
Olburro
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C
2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/Remco driveshaft disconnect & SMI towbrake

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
if you have the lpi leveling system there is a additive you can add to the system to stop noise. go to their web site.lippet.com . there is more info there.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
There was a previous post where several were adding an additive to the jack oil to stop something similar to your issue. I looked for the post, but couldn't find it.

You might also locate your hydraulic jacks and check the manual release valves. These are valves on your hydraulic pump that allow you to manually release the pressure on each jack so that they'll retract in case of a failure. If one of those is loose, it could be allowing one of the jacks to bleed back.

Locate the valves, (usually "T" handles) and snug them. Don't over tighten them as they are needle valves.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine did the same thing it was the trans oil in the jacks as the oil cooled down after a day on the road. Talked to Power Gear there answer was to drain and refill with Mercon V synthetic fluid. Problem solved.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 Bounder MH does that same, I just assumed it was heating/cooling of the chassis or slides.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Could be stabilizer jack leaking down. Test by leaving jacks up one night.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call ghost busters,LOL but your right its the metal contracting.