cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New member, new rv'er forums are how I survive.

svt4cam
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings, Long time car guy that has gone to the dark side and bought a lightly used 2017 Leprechaun 26 foot E450 cab yesterday. I have now become the driver I used to swear at. I'll have lots of stupid questions, but I do know to use the search feature first. That being said, when we moved to California from NJ a few years ago I did it myself with 26 foot Penske diesel rentals. Never knew what to do about weigh stations and toll booths. Long story short, does a class c need weighed out on the highways? If I have a toll pass from a car, Fast-track in California's case can it be used for the rv or do I need to stop at the freakin window? Thanks in advance for your replies, flames and insults lol.
9 REPLIES 9

svt4cam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
In southern California I added my RV plate number and my toad was already on the pass so i just tow on my toll roads and they bill me accordingly.

Various trailers I tow just get billed as extra axles. I don't worry about getting charged, they always do....
As far as ag stations, once I was asked if i had any fruit or vegetables I just say no. Makes life easier.
Commercial vehicles only in weigh stations UNLESS it states rental trucks, like entering Las Vegas area.

svt4cam
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 97 Svt Cobra garage queen back in Jersey, the svt4cam was the personalized plates from it and I just stuck with the screen name. Have a 90 GT Convertible now with 37,000 miles. I bet the GT350 get's your attention when you tromp on it.;)

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic- sorry. But I noticed your screen name, what do you have ? I have had several Ford 4V's and drag raced a 1,500+ RWHP 4V for years. Sold everything race related and now have a 2017 GT350 that's a blast, did a 1,400 mile trip in it this weekend to NC.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Tolls are going to be case by case. The toll roads Iโ€™m exposed to most often are in OK, and I pay the same price as a passenger car. On the east coast, I almost always get charged more than a car because of the dual rear wheels. I crossed the George Washington bridge in NY about a week ago, and while the car toll was $15, I was charged $42 because of the duals. Go figure.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Check the rules and regs for your car pass. You probably can just go online and add your new RV to it. I use my EZPass for my truck while towing a camper all the time on the East Coast.

ronfisherman
Tolls on the OH Turnpike are by number of axles and height of vehicles.
Here is a link.
I am sure other toll roads have similar ways of calculating tolls. They should also have sites to check what their tolls are.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

svt4cam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Old Biscuit, did the banzai coast to coast 5 times in various vehicles during the move. Figured out the Ag's on first go around but the 26 foot Penske's with car haulers would trigger some of the weigh stations along the way and I never pulled in but always felt like maybe I should have. So the toll booth question still stands. Class C is 2 axle but heavy, how is that dealt with?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weigh stations are for COMMERCIAL Vehicles.

CA Agricultural Stations at the borders with OR, NV & AZ are for ALL vehicles

No you do not stop at weigh stations
Yes you do at AG Stations
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31