Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Product: Winnebago Paseo

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
In case everyone has not seen this yet:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2017/paseo/overview

New class B on the Ford Traverse platform.

The question that jumps out at me is "Why is it so much more expensive then the Travato?" Going through the specs on a quick glance it looks like they are similarly equipped.
8 REPLIES 8

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
The reason there are not more Transit van RVs is because the manufactures couldn't purchase them at a discount. Ford has been behind in their orders to their Fleet customers, so no incentive to sell to RV manufactures at a discount.

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
But I think the Paseo is starting out with way too high a price, too close to the ERA, which is on the 11,030 GVWR dual rear wheel 24-foot Sprinter, which costs at least $10,000 more for the bare van.

I don't think there is a $10,000+ difference in van price. It seems closer to $5000 when I price out the vans. That is probably one of the reasons that there aren't more Transit RV's. There isn't that much savings over a Sprinter.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why more expensive than Travato?

Looking at interior photos, it appears to be fitted out to a higher trim standard than the Travato, maybe closer to the trim of the ERA.

There is also somewhat more van. The chassis is a higher GVWR, and the turbocharged engine chosen by Winnebago adds about $1900 to the MSRP of the van, compared to the standard V-6 that is more equivalent to the V-6 you get with the Ram Promaster. Even the maxed out GVWR on the Transit adds more than $1500 to the price, compared to a Transit with same GVWR as the Promaster.

But I think the Paseo is starting out with way too high a price, too close to the ERA, which is on the 11,030 GVWR dual rear wheel 24-foot Sprinter, which costs at least $10,000 more for the bare van.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Love that it has a screen at the rear door. Really opens up the space.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but The Ford ECO boost twin turbo V6 is one of the best engines made, and will leave a Sprinter in the dust in the mountains.
For me personally it's the only Class B chassis/engine I would buy, and It's too bad that it took so long for the manufactures to to get some kind of small fleet deal from Ford.
I admit I'm bias toward gas, and have been waiting to see a good quality B built on the Transit with the ECO Boost.
The Sprinter offers a few more amenities, but the Transit is very close in that regard.

jagbev
Explorer
Explorer
(for context, I've pasted in part of a post by My Roadtrek from another topic)

My Roadtrek wrote:
Does it have to be a Sprinter, and how soon do you plan to buy? I only ask because there may soon be more manufactures (see the Winnebago Paseo post) building on the Ford Transit van, which having driven both, I feel is a better handling chassis.

Ford offers a lot more service centers, and the Transit, being a gasser, eliminates the Diesels DEF hassles. Price will fall somewhere between the Travato, and the Sprinter.

We're astonished at the price of the Sprinter Class B and we were wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to get something on a gas chassis like the Transit or Promaster (e.g. Winnebago Travato, RT Zion, etc.). I think we'd be ok with DEF and coming from a class A, I really appreciate diesel engines.

One thing we know is that we do not want a mini class A with a fiberglass house and slides, etc. We want the simplest vehicle possible.

I've seen LOTS of those Transits around being used for passenger buses and vans, and they look very efficient (e.g. 'boxy') for building something inside. I was wondering how long it might take for RVs to show up on them. I just checked out the Winnebago Paseo (on Transit chassis) and it looks ok, but I haven't gotten into the details for comparison yet. Perhaps that (or Promaster) is the way to go.

Regardless of price, how do the diesel Sprinter, gas Transit and gas Promaster chassis compare? I would speculate that the diesel Sprinter has more oomph than the gas models and would run smoother and quieter (at least that's the way it works in the class A motorhomes).

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully Ford's production has caught up with the demand of their large fleet markets, and can now give the RV manufactures a good price on the vans. If so, I hope we see a Roadtrek, and PW model soon.
The Paseo looks nice, and I like the look of the inside, but price seems high for what is a pretty basic B Van. I didn't see a macerator, or an inverter, just a basic converter charger. No under hood generator, so still stuck with the noisy Onan. Only option 100 watt solar. It is a gasser, and that's a plus for me.
I can live with basic, but not $3000 + for a way outdated noisy Onan generator.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A class B with a "spacious interior"... ummm, ok, if they say so. 😉 But I'll admit, I would take one if someone offered it to me!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point