cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Seneca rooftop ACs...

BEVAR
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '06 Seneca 35GS and want to upgrade the rooftop AC units. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Beave
8 REPLIES 8

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Propane is expensive. I'd rather use the rv park's electricity to heat the coach.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
A/C Ducts for both Heat and Cool from an RV heat pump, if it's the typical rooftop system. Winnebago and I don't know how many others, had more of a "central heat and air" system with the compressor and coils mounted in the storage bay area. I don't know how those flowed air, but I know in some cases owners have installed rooftops in its place. A heat pump has a Coefficient of Performance/COP. That means it generates more BTU's of heat than plain resistive elements can. So on metered electric, it's better than plain electric heaters. Propane? I don't know.

In theory A/C should fall into a room from the top/ceiling, and Heat should rise from the bottom/floor. Our Florida house has ceiling vents and a floor return. It heats nicely but outside temp seldom gets below freezing. Cooling takes priority.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I understand how it works. Just wonder whether it's a better option to use the electricity to run the heat pump versus the propane to run the furnace. Does the heat pump send the warmed air through the A/C ducts like the A/C would? The furnace ducts come out on the floor... what about the heat pump?

I can see the obvious benefit with a night or two plugged in, but how about when electricity is metered?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Heat Pump reverses refrigerant flow so the inside coil gets hot and the outside one gets cool. Due to refrigerant characteristics, they don't heat super well at low outside temps. But they're nice. Our house has one.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Most Class A diesels have the heat pump. It's an air conditioner that doubles as a heater down to about 40*. It means you don't have to burn your propane to keep warm.
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Get an a/c with a heat pump.

Tell us more about the A/C with a heat pump and how that works please. Interested for sure.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
What is it you want to upgrade? Cooling power?
What do you have now?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Get an a/c with a heat pump.
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE