cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windshield SQUEAK

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I had to have a new windshield installed in my coach. The point at which the bottom left of the windshield attaches to the dash area now squeaks real loud when the coach is driven. I took it back to the glass shop and they kept it for a week, but it is still squeaking. It is loudest during left hand turns and quiets slightly in warmer weather. Anyone have any experience with this? Anyone have any ideas or advice on a fix? It is a one piece windshield.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"
8 REPLIES 8

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The windshield installer found that the fiberglass dash was rubbing against metal causing the squeak. He accessed it through the generator compartment. He put in a piece of rubber, I think, and some WD40. The SQUEAK is gone! We’re not sure if it was related to the windshield installation or not. He didn’t charge me. A big attaboy for Apex Glass in Santa Maria , California.
Retired Law Enforcement

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem and came up with this high tech solution. I took a cardboard box, cut off a small piece, folded it in half and slid it between the the windshield and the post. No more squeak.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies! I’ve talked with the installer and take it in again this Friday.
Retired Law Enforcement

Bruce_Brown
Did they remove any inside trim when they replaced the windshield?

If they did I'd be looking at that as a possible source too.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back to the installer if possible. They've got adhesives that should be able to put a stop to the movement and the squeak along with it. Once the stuff they use to glue windshields in place sets up, it won't come loose.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If OP tries to fix the windshield himself he blows the warranty.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
silicone lubricant on the inside or 303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals . I use both, 303 more than the silicone but they both work.

This is what my new vehicle states in the manual to use twice a year on all rubber parts. Gummi Pflege

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask them again to fix it. Offer to take them on a drive to show the issue. Record the test drive. If not fixed for a third time, its small claims court time. Get an estimate for repair.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad