cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie questions on buying a used Class C

jbliss1234
Explorer
Explorer
I am an absolute newbie and would like to get an RV without making a major investment. I do not mind old, but I would very much prefer not to get into a fixer project.

I am currently looking at this rv which is a 1988 Ford Lazy Daze 26 foot: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/rvs/6344909825.html

My questions are:
1. What sort of inspection should I perform, or get someone to perform? Could I ask the owner for permission to take it to a local mechanic?
2. I am very concerned about engine and transmission...since this is a 1988 model, do such old models have reliable check engine light. Could I assume that if the check engine light is not on, the engine/transmission is fine?
3. Since this is going to be a private seller in CA (I am in CA too), what paperwork do I need to show up with when I go to the seller? I am guessing I will have to buy insurance first? What is the exact process of title transfer? How does one make sure that the title is good and there are no surprises when I attempt to register the rv? At what point do I pay the seller...I guess I am just looking for a sequence for the buying process.
4. What is the way to arrive at a fair price? Is NADA guides the best resource?

Any other pointers so keep surprises to a minimum will be most appreciated. Thanks

Andy
9 REPLIES 9

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rig looks good on the outside but if I were you and knowing nothing about RV'S I would pay a mobile mechanic service to check out the vehicle for you. It will be the best dollars you will ever spend.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My questions are:
1. What sort of inspection should I perform, or get someone to perform? Could I ask the owner for permission to take it to a local mechanic?
2. I am very concerned about engine and transmission...since this is a 1988 model, do such old models have reliable check engine light. Could I assume that if the check engine light is not on, the engine/transmission is fine?
3. Since this is going to be a private seller in CA (I am in CA too), what paperwork do I need to show up with when I go to the seller? I am guessing I will have to buy insurance first? What is the exact process of title transfer? How does one make sure that the title is good and there are no surprises when I attempt to register the rv? At what point do I pay the seller...I guess I am just looking for a sequence for the buying process.

Any other pointers so keep surprises to a minimum will be most appreciated. Thanks

A lot has already been covered. We also bought an older RV. We bought a 1990 Winnebago Warrior about 8 years ago.

1) Request to see every functional item on the RV actually function. Then figure out how much the cost to repair it will be for each non-functioning item. Use these costs to negotiate deductions in sales price.

Things to consider:
Do all burners of the stove work?
Does the system have a propane leak-down detection gauge? If so, check the propane system for leaks. You basically pressurize the system, set a witness needle to the pressure needle, then turn off the gas at the tank. If there is no leak, the two needles stay together. If there is a leak, pressure decreases away from the witness needle.

Google to learn the how to read the date codes on tires. Tires have a life of about 6-10 years regardless of tread wear. I learned after we bought our RV that the front tires were 4 years old, the back tires 10 years old, and the spare was 19 years old. That was $1000 for us.

Check all the cab vehicle controls, like the air conditioning. As old as it is, if the AC does not work it will have to be upgraded to R134 refrigerant as the old R12 is not in use anymore. That was $800 for us.

If it has a generator, see if it runs, and leave it running for at least 30 minutes. Our RV generator started and ran, but shut down after about 20 minutes. That was $500 for us.

If it is old enough to have a carbureted engine instead of fuel injection, that's a headache. I remember pre-fuel injection days and even when they are running right you just can't beat fuel injection.

Ford systems from 1985-1995 should have OBD-I diagnostic capability.

Have the water tank filled with water, and turn on the water pump. The pump should run until the system pressurizes, and then it should shut down. Leave it on during the inspection. If there is a leak in the system the pump will turn on periodically to restore pressure. Check for leaks.

RVs as old as 1988 may not have the now-mandatory propane detectors. On an old RV like that I highly recommend you install propane and Carbon Monoxide detectors. I installed a hard-wired combo propane/CO detector near the furnace intake and separate CO detectors in both sleeping areas.

Look for evidence of leaks and past leak repairs. Water kills RVs. If you see bubbles or blisters in the outside of the RV, particularly under window openings or along the roof line, the RV has leaked and the wall is deteriorating.

Trust your nose! If you walk into the RV and it smells like mold and mildew, you've probably got a leaking RV.

Gently push on all interior walls up near the ceiling. If anything feels soft or makes crunchy sounds - you probably have rot from a leak. I had to rebuild our shower and the toilet walls on ours.

Take a look at the headliner. Our headliner was held up with staples. The headliner was originally a vinyl material with little holes all in it, backed with an adhesive and thin layer of insulative foam, followed by more adhesive. This was stuck to the ceiling. Over time, the foam aged and disintegrated, and hence had been "repair" by stapling it to the ceiling. The disintegrated foam fell through the tiny holes in the vinyl material, raining little tiny bits of foam dust on everything in the RV, like a giant roof-sized pepper shaker. Drove my allergies insane. I finally pulled it all down and glued fiberglass paneling to the roof.

Make sure the roof AC works. If it has integrated heat, make sure it works.

Make sure the furnace works.

Make sure the water heater works. If it also has electric, make sure that works, but beware - don't turn on the electric heater until the water heater is full of water or you will burn it out in seconds.

Make sure you can hook the RV up to city water.

Make sure the refrigerator works on gas and electric and 12V (if it supports all of those). This can be hard to tell because the systems are slow to cool down. I'd ask that the refrigerator be turned on to run on gas at least 12 hours before the inspection so you can verify it is working.

Make sure all faucets work.

Take a look at the roof. If it has been painted over with latex roof sealer, you may have had a leak that has been painted over. Also look for evidence of repairs. This may indicate there was once a leak.

Make sure all electrical things work if only running on internal house battery power and when plugged into shore power.

My Dad says RVs basically have a life of about 15 years, and after that they start to fall apart. Ours is pushing 30. It does require maintenance and things do break, and she isn't pretty any more. But we paid $7500 for it 8 years ago and we could not afford to replace it today. The occasional repairs are still less than an RV payment.

If you are handy with repairs you can save a lot of money.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
check for water leaks
check again for water leaks
look even harder for water leaks.

Make sure chassis parts are available.

The unit you are looking at was "top drawer" but....it is old....
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If it was a bit newer and had fuel injection that would be a big one for starts.
The next big items are the tires and condition of the roof. Check where it's parked and make sure nothing has leaked under it. Test drive and roll the dice
like any used vehicle.

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
1. You could hire a mechanic to go over the engine and someone who knows RVs to check the house systems and parts. Smell around the house to tell if there is a musty smell. Look for signs of water damage and ask about it. Being an older rig, there would be 'repairs'.

2. We didn't have a mechanic check our a ten year old RV, but we knew the Ford V10 engine was reliable, and didn't see or hear anything suspect. A nineteen years old engine may be a different story.

3.I can tell you what we did. We checked out the RV twice and made a verbal agreement with the seller. We put the money into one account. We met the sellers at their bank. We brought whatever the CU said to bring to their bank and the two banks made the money transfer. We brought our proof of insurance.
It probably would be good for both parties to go to the secretary of state office to transfer the title, but I'm not sure how that works. Our seller just handed over the title right in the bank.

4. To arrive at a price we looked at the guides and selling prices. That will be more difficult for you due to the age of the vehicle.

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you.

Mike Leslie
2003 Minnie 29"

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
jbliss1234 wrote:
I am an absolute newbie and would like to get an RV without making a major investment. I do not mind old, but I would very much prefer not to get into a fixer project.

I am currently looking at this rv which is a 1988 Ford Lazy Daze 26 foot: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/rvs/6344909825.html

My questions are:

Andy

Well since your buying off Craigs List, 1st make sure it's not a scam. 2nd, ask for Service doc: oil changes, how many times has it been serviced, did he have a maintenance/service schedule and did he stick to it. 3rd if you don't know much about RV's let the seller know and tell him that the purchase is contingent upon a thorough inspection from an expert, because the findings could be a deal breaker or it could bring the price down. If the RV was being sold by a dealer I'd get the Car Fax. You can also see if the Vin# pops up on one of those motor vehicle websites. After the purchase get insurance. Other than that buying an RV is like buying a Car. But I'm from Texas. You are from Cali and as you know Cali is "unique" on many issues.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My general advice, for what it's worth, is to be more concerned with the condition of the house part of the RV and not quite so worried about the chassis. I don't mean you should ignore the chassis condition or check it out, of course; but typically problems in older RVs, especially ones that are hard and expensive to repair, are to the house part. In particular, check very carefully for water damage to the walls and ceiling, and see if the caulking has been well kept up.

Water damage to the sides generally takes the form of delamination, for smooth-sided RVs, where the outer skin comes separated from the wall structure because the thin plywood it's adhered to has disintegrated. If the framing is wooden, it is often the case that it's at least partly rotted as well. Many would say run from any RV that has any signs of delamination; I don't go nearly that far, especially when you're looking at old and inexpensive units, but certainly go in with both eyes open and expect any damage you see to extend further and be somewhat more severe than it appears at first.

Also check out all the systems in the RV--the stove, the fridge, the furnace and air conditioner, the generator (if it has one), the water heater and water pump, the converter/battery charger, and so on. Anything that doesn't work properly can be repaired or replaced, but the costs can add up pretty quickly.

The chassis is basically a beefed-up van chassis. If you look up common difficulties with Ford van chassis for that era you'll have a pretty good idea of the sorts of things to look out for. I think they're generally pretty reliable and trouble-free. Double-check whether this engine is fuel injected or not, and think about how much you want to tinker with carburetors if it is not. I think it probably is, but apparently it's right about the era when things were being switched over...and rather often motorhomes get built on chassis from the previous model year.

NADA is not too helpful for determining values for motorhomes as they have very low sales volumes (compared to cars, at least) and their value depends quite heavily on their condition. If this is in generally good shape and has a sound structure, $8500 does not sound out of line to me. Lazy Daze is one of the better makers of class C motorhomes. If, on the other hand, there are significant structural problems, $8500 may be $8000 or more too much to pay.

Buying a motorhome from a private party is not much different from buying a car, in terms of how the transaction proceeds. You need to call your insurance company and get a binder for the vehicle (which usually doesn't cost anything, in my experience). You hand over your cash to the seller, they sign and hand over the title. You take the title and the bill of sale and a pile of money for taxes to the DMV and they issue you the paperwork needed. The exact details of this second part vary some from state to state, so check up on exactly what is involved for California beforehand, but it's usually fairly straightforward, to the extent that anything at the DMV is straightforward.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my opinion on Class Cs. they have leaked, they are leaking, or they will leak.
bumpy

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
dont buy of piece of junk it will frustrate you buy the most you can afford that checks out