cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie researching Class A.

OldSalt92
Explorer
Explorer
I am returning to researching purchase of an RV for travel and some extended stay, now that gas prices have lowered and we retired. I like getting off the expressways and traveling the two lane. Was thinking a shorter unit, 33' to 35' would handle better on smaller, winding roads.a salesman said 39' to 40' would handle just as well, same width (and same brand). Do you agree or was he just trying to upgrade me to a more expensive unit?
15 REPLIES 15

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
In the east the problem with 2 lanes for me is usually trees and width
The 33-35' for the most part will be the same width and height I never have a problem with length
2009 Challenger

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
It's been 7 months. It would be nice if the OP came back and told us what he/she decided.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody mentioned wheel cut. Forgot about that. My rig is older and has a straight axle. The newer independent front suspensions will be much better for tight spot maneuvering.
jor
09 LazyDaze

OldSalt92
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am primarily looking at driving the Nat'l parks of the west, maybe a trip to Alaska. I can stay on expressways and US routes in the east. I like the layout of the 39" better, and think it would accommodate some extended stays. I've read some National Parks and State parks may have limited availability for larger rigs. Could opt for private CG when that happens.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, driving and roads are different in the east than the west. Here, east of the Mississippi, we all learned to drive on a tractor in a big field or gravel drive. Our roads follow either the creek or the snake path.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a 33' Class A DP. Agree that it's the floor plan not the length. Must haves: slide outs, walk around queen size bed, enough storage space. The reason we purchased a shorter DP is that we can fit into more state, national and corps of engineers campgrounds.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I would like to point out that the OP lives in the east and to 2 respondents live in the west. The roads in the east are a little narrower and the corners a little tighter.
That is very true in my case! I have not driven a coach in the east so it may be very different than our mountains.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 31' Class C with a 218" wheelbase and 45 degree wheel cut but was really 33.5' long. It was a handful to drive, took a very large space to turn around and was very loud and noisy inside due to the Triton V10 right next to our feet and a truck spring suspension. Now we have a 33.5' (actually 34.5' long) with a 55 degree wheel cut with a 208" wheelbase. It is a DP. Very nice to drive. The engine is in the back and air ride suspension make for a very quiet and comfortable ride. The Ford gas rigs have a long wheelbase, narrow wheel cut (typically 45 degrees), and long rear overhang (Can be 10' or more!). The long rear overhang can make fueling challenging. I had to stop 3-4' from the pumps in certain gas stations because of exiting clearance and tail swing. For every foot the front moves the back can swing an equal distance.
FMCA member

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
As pointed out above width is the same. As for length, the tail follows the dog and so does the toad behind it. I cut my teeth driving a school bus on mountain roads in Colorado. So, maybe, I'm a bit jaded.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
OldSalt92 wrote:
I am returning to researching purchase of an RV for travel and some extended stay, now that gas prices have lowered and we retired. I like getting off the expressways and traveling the two lane. Was thinking a shorter unit, 33' to 35' would handle better on smaller, winding roads.a salesman said 39' to 40' would handle just as well, same width (and same brand). Do you agree or was he just trying to upgrade me to a more expensive unit?

38-40 MAX on narrow two lane road deals u certainly don't want ANYTHING longer I think 35 ft will serve u well for what u want

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 40', 36' and now a 34, all the same brand. Unlike the other posters I find the 34' to be a much different experience than the 40.

On the highway the 34' handles about the same as the 40 with the exception of when fast moving semis blast by on my left. The 34' is buffeted a bit more than the 40. But where I really notice the difference is in parking and general maneuvering. The 34' is so much easier. I was really amazed at the difference that 6' in wheelbase makes.

Also, on those really tight curvy roads I no longer worry about the back tires dragging over the center line. Just like driving a big pickup!

I don't have near the storage capacity I had with the 40' but I never needed all that stuff anyhow!
jor
09 LazyDaze

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to point out that the OP lives in the east and to 2 respondents live in the west. The roads in the east are a little narrower and the corners a little tighter.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My 43.5 ft loves the 2 lane curvey mountain roads! Base your size on living comfort, and don't worry about whether it fits on the road or not.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We've had several 35 foot motor homes and now have a 39 foot one. Cannot tell that 4 feet or so is back there. Drives the same . Suggest go for test drives in few of different sizes, but in the end it's all about the floor plan. You might like the extra 4ft or the smaller one might fit you just right.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler