cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nightmare Repair

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
While we were driving from Trinidad, CA to Susanville, CA in our 2001 Dutch Star DP, we experienced some engine over heating about 2/3 of the way. On several occasions, I was able to pull over let the engine return to normal and continue for a short distance. After we traversed the hills and started level or downhill I was able to keep the engine temperature normal by driving in 4th gear at 2000 RPM. At Susanville I bought a window fan and placed it in front of the radiator and plugged it in. (It fit between the grill and radiators). I located the closest Freightliner service facility and called them. I was advised that they would get me in the next day for repairs. The next day, Thursday August 15th, I drove to Reno/Sparks NV to the Freightliner facility without incident-temperature remained normal. I arrived there at 10:30 AM. We unloaded some clothes and turned the coach over them. They called later to tell me that they test drove the coach and verified it did in fact overheat. They indicated that they would have to diagnose the unit to determine the problem. I called to get an update and they informed me that we were number four in line for the diagnostic team to get it in and that would happen Tuesday August 20th. I called Tuesday afternoon to get an up-date and learned that we were in the number two spot. They did get it in Wednesday the 21st and called me to give me the information and I gave them the go ahead for the repair. They indicated they had the necessary parts and we could pick up the coach on Friday. Friday came and went and it was not ready. We kept getting revised completion dates that stretched until Friday the 23d. That did not happen but we were told it would be done Saturday around 11:00. We finally checked out of the hotel and headed for the facility. After a couple of delays we were finally told that it would not be ready until Monday, August 26th early morning. We could not get a room where were staying so spent several hours finding a place to stay. Because we travel with Molly, our Border Collie availability of places is limited. We finally got the last non-smoking, pet friendly, room available. Monday morning, August 26th around 8:30 AM they called to say there was another delay. We stayed in the motel room until check out time and drove to the repair facility. To my surprise the work was done. It took about a half hour to get the paperwork done and pay the bill. We drove about 200 miles from Sparks, NV to Tonopah, NV. Twice I had to pull over to let the engine cool down. It got hotter than normal and I stopped before it over heated. I did not let it get to the warning light and beep. I believe I still have an issue with the cooling fan not working properly. I may continue to the Phoenix area to see if I can find a shop that can actually make the repair.
You cannot imagine all we went through cancelling reservations, loosing deposits, missing seeing friends and family we were scheduled to see. We ended up cancelling our visit to Yosemite in an attempt to get back on schedule, however, the constant delays and missed completion dates has completely destroyed the efforts we made to meet family, who planned a vacation to be with us at the Grand Canyon.
I hope that anyone driving a MH with a Freightliner chassis never needs service in the Reno, NV area.
31 REPLIES 31

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
The FTL and Spartan chassis 2001 DSDP both had a side radiator with similar equipment. hydraulic cooling radiators mounted first, followed by the "charge air cooler", and finally the actual coolant radiator If possible would find a good radiator shop have them them clean it.

RV Service Review -look here
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Bruce_Brown
timmac wrote:
Diesels are so complicating and costly to repair, glad I have a gas motorhome..

They can be expensive, complicated they are not.

I have both a gas farm tractor and a diesel farm tractor. I have been fighting my gasser for 2 years now. I think I may have finally fixed it last Saturday. We'll see.

As Larry Cad noted, there are only a few very simple things that could/should have caused the OPs issue. Like the others, I sure would like to know what the shop did - and didn't, do.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker wrote:
yes, would definitely like to know what they did.

we can spit ball all day but understanding what the shop did, and what the next shop does (and if this resolves the issue or not) could go a long way to helping your fellow RV'ers with similar problems.

Agree with this 100%! Without KNOWING how much they spent and specifically what repairs were performed, (over 11 days) it's kind of silly to try to establish a meaningful direction from here. Are we talking 11 shop days (plus food and lodging) and $300 or $5,000, in repairs, or more?

It is possible that the repair facility did the best they could and got a parts delivery run around AND bogus parts from their supplier. Without the whole picture it's all just guesswork. On the other hand, it could be the shops fault totally, . . . . . or, somewhere in between.

Chum lee

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
yes, would definitely like to know what they did.

we can spit ball all day but understanding what the shop did, and what the next shop does (and if this resolves the issue or not) could go a long way to helping your fellow RV'ers with similar problems.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels are so complicating and costly to repair, glad I have a gas motorhome..

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two very simple things. I would not take it back to them as IMO, it will sit in their shop for a very long time. That they did not fix it correctly after having it that long tells me they either don't care, are inept or both. I would file a complaint with the Bureau of Auto Repair of Nevada and have them intervene with a claim. They will need a copy of the bill from Freightliner/Nevada as well as the repair bill from whatever facility you end up taking it to. Massy's is well documented and known for excellent repairs. Finally, be sure to post your review on RVServiceReviews.com so others are aware of your experience.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Seems to me, the logical thing to do would be to take it back where you had it fixed. I assume there is some warranty on the repair. I would also get pretty heated about it and make sure they know it's now a priority since they didn't fix it right the first time.

That would not be the place to take it too again!

Why? I would take it there and ask them to make it right for free rather than take it somewhere else and pay twice. At a minimum there is no way I would let them get away with charging me for a repair that didn't work. That said, despite the long post, it's short on details as to what was actually done.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too am curious as to what repairs were made to the coach and how many hundreds of dollars were spent with bad results. I would have taken it back and had them correct the problem and credit the original expense.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Seems to me, the logical thing to do would be to take it back where you had it fixed. I assume there is some warranty on the repair. I would also get pretty heated about it and make sure they know it's now a priority since they didn't fix it right the first time.

That would not be the place to take it too again!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Is a bummer for sure. I think we've all got our repair horror stories, mostly when on the road in an unknown place at the mercy of other people. Personally I find it best to move on. No way I'd take it back to that shop, get it somewhere good and let them fix it right. You already got a recommendation for a shop in Phoenix, that would be my move.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You got an itemized bill. What DID they do?

Jayco-noslide wrote:
Oh my, post is way too long to read and process.
Paragraphs help.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:

Summary: they were overheating. Took it to a repair shop on Aug 15 and got it back on Aug 26 after may assurances the repair shop would have it done, but it was not. They stayed in a motel during that time. When they got the RV back, couple hundred miles down the road, it overheated again. What should they do?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Did you verify the fan was working when the coolant was hot? (See Larryโ€™s post)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta believe if you are driving a 2001 Dutchstar, you are riding on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis, probably with a Cummins ISC motor and a side mount radiator. Spartans design has the hydraulic cooling radiators mounted first, followed by the "charge air cooler", and finally the actual coolant radiator. Don't know what took Freightliner so long, but the problems with this setup can be many and varied. Most common is clogging of the radiator due to leaves, dust, and dirt accumulating in the "pores". Another possibility is that the coolant vs. water is too concentrated. Too much antifreeze vs. too little water provides less cooling capacity. Another possibility is the cooling fan drive motor not turning fast enough. This is a hydraulic motor, driven by a hydraulic pump. This is the same pump that runs the power steering system. The pumped fluid a shared between the two systems via proportioning valves. Also possible not enough fluid is driving the hydraulic fan motor.

Might help to list what Freightliner did to try to correct the problem.

If I'm wrong, and you have a freightliner chassis (I think Newmar was using both back then), the side mount cooling fan is driven by a magnetic clutch. That clutch is known to fail, which lets the fan sit still instead of spinning when the coolant is hot.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog