Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No turning back... need advise moving forward

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE :
What a Journey it was through the process of buying a RV! It was a awesome but exsulsting experience.

First and for most I want to thank all the Full timers that inputted the good, the bad and the ugly. While I may not have liked everything I read...I took it to heart and did my homework.

What we ended up with came in part from the advise given in this thread followed up with a ton of research!

We got a gently used 2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 that we are very proud of. We added tire monitoring to the rig and the Enclave, a Blue Ox 10k lb, and a Air Force One Breaking system.
------------------------------------------

We have decided to take the plunge into full time RVing. We've listed the house with our favorite realtor and a potential buyer is coming this afternoon. The Auctioneer is coming out today as well to evaluate and a auction date has been set.

We are looking at class A 40 Foot and are really liking the Fleetwood Revolution Deisel Pusher. We are looking at slightly used ones. We've found 2 of them and they sold so fast we didn't even have a chance. We have been reading up and trying to figure out how to go about it. We were thinking as soon as the house is sold head south towards Florida in our car to find our dream RV.. because I've read that the prices are better there. Yes? No?

Other questions have also came up between me and my husband that I am also need to find advise on, so I will list them below. If you could shed some light on any or all of them we would very much appreciate it.

Does anyone travel with a Cat? We have one and I don't want to leave her behind at my SIL's if we can help it. But I don't want her to be miserable either.

We currently have a 2015 Buick LaCrosse and are not sure if it will be the right vehicle to tow as it is a full size sedan which add's more length to the already 40 foot RV. We were considering trading for a 2 door Jeep but after the last news flash with the Jeep that caught fire, I'm concerned. Does anyone have trouble getting into campgrounds with a long rig? What kind of tow set up do you use? Is there anything you can advise me to watch out for?

Mail... how do you get your mail? We have been considering escapees. Is it worth it? We will also be having medications shipped to were ever we are, any advise on this?

We are also considering making our Domicile Texas for obvious reasons pp taxes ect.. How do we go about switching everything over to TX. Do we need to make a trip there? Trying to figure out how to get a address there, then I would assume we need to physically go to the DMV?? Should we do this before we make the big purchase?
52 REPLIES 52

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
Updated in first post

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
JFNM wrote:
I use the Garmin 760 and am happy with it.
http://jdfinley.com/garmin-dezl-760lmt-gps/

It allows you to program your coach size/weight so it can do a better job helping you avoid a bad route.

X2 for the Garmin 760. It has a setting where it displays the miles to selected criteria. I programed in rest stops and truck stops.

Safe travels. JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
Getting serious with a Newmar Ventana 4369 model. (New) Does anyone have .02? We will be going to the table tomorrow, so any thoughts or advise ....good, bad or ugly before then is greatly appreciated!

firemedic08
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out some you tube channels of people who full time for some other views. I follow a few, such as Nomadic Fanatic. He travels with his cat Jax. Another is Justin Credible, also travels with a cat, but he is in Canada.
Donnie
1994 Chevy 2500 Extended cab
1987 28 ft travel villa 5th wheel.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
PatAng2016 wrote:
If all goes well this time next week we will be rolling! Gramps we should be somewhere crossing your path by then.

You are welcome to swing by Deer Creek Class A Motorcoach resort in Galax. We have guest spots for three nights at no charge. You can easily find us on the web. Diane and I will be back there this Sunday.

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
If all goes well this time next week we will be rolling! Gramps we should be somewhere crossing your path by then.

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
Gramps...this is exactly how we feel. I have lived in the blue Ridge mountain a good part of my life, it is beautiful. I can understand why you love coming back this way. It will always have a place in my heart.

This big beautiful country has so much to see, I just can't stay on the east coast forever.

Tomman I understand your point of view, full-time is not for everyone. But we will never know until we try.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I guess full timing has a lot to do with what you have at your stick house(s). We love using our TT for about 5 to 6 months a year but sooner or later we love to come home to our home.. Having good neighbors, a lovely home,family, an acre of flowers, perennials, many many huge oaks, my wood shop, a great fireplace that I burn lots of wood in the spring and fall, yeah we wouldn't give up this no matter what.
So I guess there are two schools of thought and we subscribe to the 1/2 timers club, LOL
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I spent the last seven years planning to go full-time. As I mentioned earlier, we have been doing so since Christmas of last year. We do not miss owning a house. We do enjoy owing a lot to park our coach on up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We will spend our winter in Florida and then back to the Blue Ridge, with some nice stops in between like Charleston, Savannah, Williamsburg, Hatteras (where we are presently located) and other places. It wasn't easy to make the transition, but we have no regrets and really enjoy living small on wheels.

We sold or gave away almost everything we owned. We are storing photographs including negatives and slides, and some small Christmas stuff in the attic of our close friends. That is all. Or motto is...less house (and the stuff in it) more life!

(you can check out my blog if you want to know more about our full-timing experience)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford it,buy a brand new rig,that would be my advice..

For traveling with a cat look up Nomadic Fanatic on YT..

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping many will see this and add their .02 of advise as we are are on the home stretch of this part of the process. We have been looking at many 40ish footers and we keep coming back to the late model Fleetwood Revolution Le's, if you have experience with these models I would love to hear it all, the good, the bad and even the ugly! Please and thank you in advance. We are thinking about taking a long trip to see a 2010 Revolution LE 42W DP. We have always asked lots of questions when looking at them. But I would love someone with experience to give me some pointers on questions to ask that possibility I have not thought of. All help and advise as always is apreciated.

PatAng2016
Explorer
Explorer
No offense taken ๐Ÿ™‚ we did however put sentimental valuables in safe keeping with family

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the OP or anyone who fulltimes. But I do think it's healthy to review the options before taking the plunge! Alot of new FT'ers put key possessions in storage for later use, that might be something worth considering.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We also get tired of the RV life after 6 months and welcome our other homes in the spring. DW puts in 75 flats of flowers and we enjoy making our house a garden lovers dream.
We've met plenty of folks who do full time and although it isn't our dream they are enjoying theirs. We welcome their stories and enjoy sharing experiences with them. WE and them are out to enjoy the life we are given and hope for the best to all who love to RV in this country of ours.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.