cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy water pump

dufferdj
Explorer
Explorer
Our water pump starts out quiet but then starts to chatter --- almost as if there is air in the line. The first couple of days out this season the pump ran quietly. The water flows smoothly the entire time and I have checked to make sure that the pump is attached securely on the rubber mounting brackets and that the hoses are not hitting the walls nearby. It is a Shur-flo model 4008. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this problem?
8 REPLIES 8

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the intake screen. Mine needed cleaning and was causing the pump to be noisy.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
I know whenever that happens to our 4008 I run the outside shower hose until any air in the lines is gone and the chattering stops.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dufferdj wrote:
Our water pump starts out quiet but then starts to chatter --- almost as if there is air in the line. The first couple of days out this season the pump ran quietly. The water flows smoothly the entire time and I have checked to make sure that the pump is attached securely on the rubber mounting brackets and that the hoses are not hitting the walls nearby. It is a Shur-flo model 4008. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this problem?

Firstly, I'd tear it down, for a good cleaning and lubing before putting it back together and evenly tightening all the bolts. Doesn't take much work and haven't done one yet, without some significant improvement in it's operation. Even brought one or two, back to life.
These things are seemingly bullet proof and more good ones have been thrown out, than bad ones, is my guess.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Check the water pump itself, it may be loose and viberating.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you switch the water selection lever from city water to tank water setting. Ours does the chattering if we don't have the lever in the correct setting.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dufferdj wrote:
Any suggestions as to how to rectify this problem?

You have to identify the actual source of the noise first.

The pump itself will always vibrate but if it is properly mounted with some "flex" it won't make much noise.

As the pump pulses ALL of the pipes will have pressure pulses and any of them can be hitting on a floor or wall or cabinet side.

My pump is fairly quiet but there is a TERRIBLE growl from the pipes under the bathroom sink/floor......that I haven't had time to really track down yet.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it's the pump and not one of the water lines coming in or out. I wrapped the lines close to pump with pipe insulation and killed the line vibrating against the wall.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For starters you could search this Forum for `noisy water pump' and get some ideas or search for `water pump' then search the results for noise or noisy or quiet, etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)