cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold not switching to propane in auto mode

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem once before and it "fixed" itself. Today it did it again.

Unhooked to travel and everything went fine. Switched right to propane. We stopped about an hour later and opened the fridge door. No light and when we shut the door the door open buzzer started going off. Turned fridge off then back on and buzzer went off. Two or three minutes later did it again. W turned it off then back on.

Finally turned on the inverter and continued on down the road with fridge okay. Hooked up at next stop and working fine.

We had a new cooling unit installed in December and it was working fine until today.

My thought is the main board. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Is it something I can change?

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're right Doxie. Did you replace the board or have it done?

If you did it, is it in the back of the fridge where I'll have to pull it out or did somebody actually design something readily accessible? (I probably already know the answer to that!)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was the circuit board as I said before when we had multiple wierd things happening. The door alarm when door was properly closed was 1 thing - wouldn't switch to gas when set on auto - wouldn't always even manually switch to gas. Temp setting would periodically change, and even a couple of times, frig shut itself off. Luckily I noticed and turned back on and all was fine for a few hours or few days, then it started again. No problem after replacing the board.

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I was a bit vague, which comes with being chronologically challenged. I just opened the door a minute ago after I got up. It worked fine all night. When I opened the door the interior light went out instantly and the door open beeper started singing. I turned it off and then back on and it's working fine. Still will not switch to propane.

Sitting here scratching my head????? I just hope it keeps working like it is now until we get home in two weeks.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huh? Now I'm confused, Doug. I understood your fridge to work fine on electricity but not on propane. If that's the case, how would unplugging from the pedestal and/or your inverter fix it?....sounds like the board to me...but...I'll be interested in your fix....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to Norcold today. Their tech said it sounded like it was getting bad electricity thru the inverter/ converter. He said the next time it does it to unplug from the pedestal and it should go to gas if power is the problem. Have yet to try that.

I'll update when I try that troubleshooting idea.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ours started doing these various things for no reason, it was the circuit boatd. Replaced it with one from dinosaur electronics and no problems since.

Glhs80
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem, mine would only work on propane.
I found one of the buss fuse slots had overheated and damaged the circuit board. I unsoldered the old fuse parts and soldered in a new blade style fuse assembly. Have not had a problem since.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Do you happen to have an LP detector that has a cutoff switch? And a test switch on the front that will shut of the LP/alarm if it is pushed - or by accident bumped? Had that happen to us and it took a while to figure out what happened, but things move around while traveling and in our case, bumped the detector.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has done that every so often. I manually switch to LP and do not worry about it.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Flasho
Explorer
Explorer
Are you getting a fault code? Check the owners manual and if need be a service manual is available at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
The service manual has been very helpful to me in the past. Saved me a large repair bill when I discovered it was just a fuse. The service manual goes into much more detail than the owners manual. Good luck. Safe travels.
Reinhard & Margaret,
aka, "Flash" & Maggie

2003 Winnebago Brave 36M
2012 Scion xB