cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norfolk VA Propane Tunnel Inspection

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Live in the Norfolk area of Virginia and got caught in traffic this morning when they stopped all tunnel traffic for a few minutes. A fellow owner didn't stop for the inspection station on the approach to the I664 tunnel heading south. They pulled him out of the lane at the tunnel entrance. Really bad place to try and reenter traffic with no room to accelerate into morning traffic. Not sure if the state troopers will site an RV or not. I'm pretty sure the commercial drives get to talk with someone behind a large desk wearing a black robe.

Just something to be aware of when traveling. Propane restrictions in tunnels under water are pretty common here in the mid Atlantic. There are five tunnels around this area and all require an inspection stop. I95 under Baltimore Harbor has a total restriction. Study your route and if in doubt call the state DOT, state police or post the question concerning your route here on RV.NET.

Safe travels.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
6 REPLIES 6

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
We went through the Boston Tunnel to the Hyatt Hotel. Stay there for 3 days touring Boston. Coming back stopped at the Toll Booth and they ask me pull over to the side of the road. An officer came up and told me no propane allowed in the tunnel. He had me turn around and go through New Jersey. That took about 4 hours out of way.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Virginia Beach and stop at all of the Inspection Stations along I-64 and I-664 when using the tunnels. I really haven't had issues merging back into traffic. Normally the attendant just asks if the propane is turned off, but every once in a while they ask you to show them.

The only other tunnels I have seen similar are along the PA Turnpike (Lehigh Tunnel and Allegheny Mountain Tunnel) but there aren't restrictions on RVs with non-bulk loads (only trucks carrying large tanks.) I have never stopped for an inspection along the PA Turnpike, unlike in Hampton Roads.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Driven through the I-64 tunnel multiple times. Stop at the checkpoint and tell them the propane is off. Once I had to get out and show them that it was off. No big deal.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I ran thru a tunnel heading north to Pennsylvania last month. Another fiver was following me and I told the wife,,, hammer down.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the RV driver didn't stop because he has an all-electric coach.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a big deal and there is ample warning before the checkpoints. The officer at the checkpoint was very friendly.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox