cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Labor Hours for a Towed vehicle install?

Soon2BDP
Explorer
Explorer
What’s a reasonable number of a professional (Transwest RV) install labor hours for a towed vehicle install including everything (Blue Ox Tow Bar, Electrical, Blue Ox Face Plate install (‘18 GMC Canyon Pick -Up), Air Force One brake system, lights etc.). One estimate that I received so far is 14.5 hours. Reasonable or not? More/less, how many?
25 REPLIES 25

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the mods needed to be made to the vehicle. Some are easy...bolt swap and no grill trimming for the brackets, comvenient place to mount the brake box and easy access for wiring runs, tail light diods, etc. Others are a real PITA and can easily be an 18hr task. Seen it both ways.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking I think 14.5 hours is high. If they quoted that high it tells me they might not do many of them.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the base plate, Roadmaster invisibrake and light wiring myself in my toad. The base plate suggested about 2 hours, the brake system information said about 5 hours and he wiring was another couple hours.
It took me longer than that as I needed to read the directions several times, decide where to install the brake components, remove and replace several interior panels and ensure it works properly.
A qualified shop with this kind of experience should be quicker but will probably take at least a full day and then some time to test and adjust everything.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did they tell you they will keep the vehicle for two days?
The time seems a little high but maybe they know about the skill level of the "technician in training" better than we do.
Personally I would think that they can get things done in one day. I had a Blue Ox face plate and the diodes for the lights installed in about 4 1/2 hours and they had to basically take a lot of the front end apart on my Chevrolet HHR. I watched them for awhile and it was obvious that the technician knew what he was doing.
Every vehicle is different and I did not have a braking system installed. As far as installing the tow bar, 15 minutes is plenty of time to push it in to your hitch and install the pin. A little longer if you install the anti rattle type lock with it.

Bruce_Brown
Blue Ox says 3.5 hours for the base - looking at the instructions I'd believe that.

The Air Force one System looks to me like it might take about the same.

Figure an hour for the lights (probably less, but figure that) and you're looking at 8 hours. A smart shop would give themselves a little extra time on that, so a 10-12 hour quote doesn't seem way out of line.

My question would be is the install price a firm quote or an estimate? If they estimated 14 but did it in 6 how are you being charged? Same with if it goes bad - if they say 14 and it takes them 18 are you paying more?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
The web sites for the equipment you mentioned, usually have installation instructions that can be printed out. Maybe print them out and take them to the installer for a true estimate.
Wildmanbaker

Soon2BDP
Explorer
Explorer
Also over estimating makes for a nice surprise for the customer and an even nicer “surprise” for the dealer.
Thanks all for your replies. Looks like I have some research to do looking for estimated labor time for each part.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When they quote a high number of hours, it's because they don't know what they're getting into and want to make sure they don't lose money on the deal.

Jeffe
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue Ox website posts the installation hours required for specific baseplates and light kits. My local shop accepted those hours.

I think my Ford 150 was about 2 1/2 hours for the baseplate and a hour for the light kit.
2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2016 Ford 150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I believe every one of those manufacturers list the number of hours it takes to install / accomplish those actions. My mobile tech told me the Air Force one was listed as taking 2 hours to install so that’s what he charged even though it took him 7 hours. Said it wasn’t right to charge for his “ going to school “ time for the first one.. Don’t know about all together, but seems high too me.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, you meant towed? A good mechanic should be able to install the brackets in an hour or so. But that depends on the vehicle. As for the rest? IMHO everything should be able to be done in one day.