cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil capacity for dash a/c compressor

Dirtbags77
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know where I can find the oil capacity for a Delphi A/C compressor? It is on my 2006 GM 8.1 and I just can't seem to find how much it takes. I am getting it serviced before I hit the road in May and the people that will service it need to know the oil capacity. Any help is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dirtbags77 wrote:
Anyone know where I can find the oil capacity for a Delphi A/C compressor? It is on my 2006 GM 8.1 and I just can't seem to find how much it takes. I am getting it serviced before I hit the road in May and the people that will service it need to know the oil capacity. Any help is appreciated.

Can you tell us what you are having done? Is the system not working? Or, are you just wanting them to check the 134a and see if the system needs 134a? If just checking and they want to know how much oil to use, DO NOT USE THEM. They have no clue as to what to do. IF they are installing a new compressor or pulling the compressor, there are numerous manuals out there that tell you the correct volume of oil to install. Most NEW compressors(rebuilt also) will have the oil supplied(correct volume) and you install it before you install the compressor. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
allbrandauto wrote:
I don't think the people that are servicing your ac have the right equipment when I service a ac when I suck the Freon out it will tell me how much oil came out with Freon if the system is empty add 2 oz. of oil

What is the equipment you use? That would be able to tell you how much oil came out? The only way that I know of to get an ACCURATE charge of oil is to pull the compressor, drain the compressor oil and then put the specified Oil volume charge back in the compressor. Other than that, it is GUESStimate. When you have a drastic sudden leak and it blows the coolant, then that will allow a certain amount of oil out. How much, you can never know. But as another poster stated, you could put an OZ or 2 in the system. I have NEVER heard of installing Compressor oil as a routine maintenance item on a Dash AC system. Doug

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some cans of 134a come with a bit of oil in them. It should be fine to recharge with that if you are concerned.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the people that are servicing your ac have the right equipment when I service a ac when I suck the Freon out it will tell me how much oil came out with Freon if the system is empty add 2 oz. of oil

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
If the people that you expect to service do not have access to that information, I would not let them touch my equipment at all.

Amen!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
When certain components are replaced (accumulator/drier) it is necessary to add oil. There are ways to "shotgun" oil into the system. Usually a couple of ounces. But to completely change out all the oil would require the compressor to be disassembled and the residual oil measured. New compressors come with the correct oil charge.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis? Workhorse says 1.75, 2, or 2.75 lb of Freon depending on your unit, but you shouldn't need oil with just a recharge.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If the people that you expect to service do not have access to that information, I would not let them touch my equipment at all.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you had a major high side leak you will not ever have to add more oil. A/c oil is not something that needs to be changed.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer that but I'm curious, do they plan on changing the oil?
If you can find the part number for the compressor, NAPA Auto should be able to help.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows