cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil change on the road

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 27ft Winnebago Vista with the V-10. We'll be taking (we hope) an extended trip late this summer and will need to get an oil change while we're on the road. Looking for suggestions as to what places we should look for that could do the job. Wonder would a camp ground office be able to provide that kind of information?
29 REPLIES 29

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would ask the office about a mobile service to give you one more day at the pool and one less day at the shop.

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Fumoto valve on our V10 which it made it super easy to change the oil on our trip, the filter is still a pain but manageable with a gallon baggie around it while taking it off

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T7XUE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When making a long trip like Alaska I had to change the oil twice once at a CG with the MGR's permission and once at a boondocking location. Most all the other trips were less than 7000 miles so I just change oil before the trip.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of options.

As mentioned, take care of it before the trip if possible but if you are going to do a lot of miles, just call around to oil change places. Most just have you drive over a pit, so as long as you can get in thru the garage door, it really makes no difference...just call ahead and check google maps to make sure you can maneuver their parking lot.

Truck stops or other repair shops will work also. It's not rocket science to have a guy slide under to pull the drain plug and swap the oil filter.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
I have asked campground managers if I could discretely do an oil change if I complied with EPA rules and did no polluting of soil.

EPA rules as to how to do an oil change? Whoda thunk?

Spill it on the ground and then ask the question if EPA rules cover that. 🙂

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
We have a 27ft Winnebago Vista with the V-10. We'll be taking (we hope) an extended trip late this summer and will need to get an oil change while we're on the road. Looking for suggestions as to what places we should look for that could do the job. Wonder would a camp ground office be able to provide that kind of information?

If you can change it without a lift, one option is to call a mobile oil change place to come to you (the guy that stores his class A next to me does that at the storage place). If the campground won't allow it (ask them if you can do it in their parking lot if they won't allow it at a campsite), the oil change place will probably be able to tell you where to meet him.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Any Ford dealership should be able to help you. Also, I've seen RV dealers advertising express oil changes.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I have asked campground managers if I could discretely do an oil change if I complied with EPA rules and did no polluting of soil.

EPA rules as to how to do an oil change? Whoda thunk?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a full synthetic oil change done before you leave. That'll last you 10,000 miles. If your trip is longer than that, then it's time to ask the question. Happy travels.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most truck stops can do the work, and have no issue fitting it in. Might be a good idea to have filter to fit yours, if does not use same as OTR truck. (Check to see if they have one, if they do it is often cheaper to buy from them)
Often in bad weather I have ran about 25 round trip, and paid Speedco to do my Cats

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers that are equipped to work on trucks or truck service centers would be able to do it.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Many Ford dealers will do oil changes on Ford chassis mohos.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have asked campground managers if I could discretely do an oil change if I complied with EPA rules and did no polluting of soil. I have been granted permission.

Spread a 7' X 9' tarp double folded under engine, slid under with containment pan, oil filter, wrench and in 10 minutes drain oil, install new filter and slide out with old oil and seal it, pour in new oil and deliver old oil to parts house where I bought oil and filter for them to recycle it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have used various locations. I have used a couple Walmarts and several quickie lube type locations.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We usually get an oil change just before we leave. Whether we need it or not. Then you don't need to worry about it during the trip.