cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil change

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, i have a class a motor home & would like to change my own oil & filter, does anybody have any suggestions on where i can do this, i am fulltime & the campground i am staying does not allow this. Thanks for the help.
15 REPLIES 15

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
Find a storm drain and let her rip.

NO NO NO don't do it. It's not right and a good way to end up in jail.

Or at least a hefty fine.

Those days are long gone and were always wrong.

Plus it'll give all RVers a bad reputation++++

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one more vote for, find an auto parts store with a large parking lot, and do it there. You can buy the oil and filter there, and dispose of the old oil right there when you're done, making it pretty convenient. Just make sure you bring plenty of rags or whatever for cleaning up any accidental spills you have.

That, or just do it there at the campground, quietly and discreetly, and don't make a mess. Odds are as long as you don't make a mess (or clean up real good what mess you do make), and be somewhat discreet about it, nobody won't say nothing.

With RVs, doing the oil change yourself is a no-brainer since it can save you a lot of $$. Most shops that are willing to work on RVs and do this for you will charge you an obscene amount of $$. I probably save a good $100 or more every oil change by doing it myself.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Find a storm drain and let her rip.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
With your 2007 Bounder you have either a Ford or the GM engine. I had one coach with the 8.1L GM engine and I have one suggestion which is to switch to a 2 quart oil filter. Besides giving you extra oil capacity and extra filter capacity, it allows the filter to hang low enough that it is very easy to get to with an oil filter wrench. The larger filter costs about $2 more than the standard 1/2 quart filter. Remember to fill it with oil before you install it. For all I know the same thing may also work on a Ford 6.8L engine.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I'll add is since my Cummins ISL diesel filter holds approx 2 quarts of
really black oil I punch a hole in the bottom and let it drain while the engine drains. Full of oil it's heavy and if I dropped it, it's bound to make a mess.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
An adjustable wrench, oil filter wrench, plastic dish pan, Funnel, plastic gas can, 4x8 tarp, and disposal rags are the needed tools. Buy oil at Advance auto store and they have tanks for the old used oil. Ask them where it is possible to change the oil.

Spread the tarp under the motorhome. Slide under with the dish pan and oil filter wrench, adjustable wrench, oil filter and disposal rag. Drain oil and change filters. Slide out with old oil, filter and tools.

Using funnel pour old oil into plastic gas can and clean dish pan. Using funnel fill engine with new oil. Remove tarp from under motorhome. Clean all tools and store. It's a ten to fifteen minute job. Deliver old oil to Advance auto parts store and pour into their disposal tank. Thank them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm assuming you have a class A gasser, pretty simple job, takes less than 15 minutes on our Monaco with 8.1 on workhorse W24 chassis. Grab a wrench, even an adjustable will work, grab receptacle for used oil, your favorite oil and filter, maybe an oil filter wrench although I just use a rag to twist off filter, and have at it. As mentioned above most auto part stores or Walmart will have all parts and room in there parking lots, they will also recycle your old oil when you are done. Basically, if you are physically able, you can accomplish this task in a quarter hour, find a flat spot to park and get it done.

That is what I love about our class A, it is so easy to do maintenance work with all the space around and underneath powertrain, no need to jack up rig making service intervals on our Allison 2000 series tranny a breeze. It sounds like a few have had issues with spills which can occur but rare, a piece of cardboard or small tarp will alleviate any minor incidents. At 40' long and 13' high it is way too much hassle to find, and drive, and wait for our class A rig to be serviced by some junior mechanic doing this menial job at whatever service center that happens to actually work on your brand and chassis of rig.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Auto parts store is the best choice for a gasser.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Auto parts store is the way to go. DIY it is easy and you do save money, better oil.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might get filters on hand, or check in advance to be sure they stock what you need, but Speedco is reasonable priced for trucks.
Compared to the cost of cleanup of a spill pretty reasonable.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would probably hire a mobile mechanic or just top it off and keep going.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a gasser or a diesel?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Find an auto parts store with a large parking lot and ask if they mind. I've seen plenty of people doing minor work in parking lots.

I'm assuming you don't need a lift or anything extravagant to change the oil. If you have one of the pumps that will draw oil out from the dipstick and the oil filter is easy to reach, just make sure not to make a mess and likely no one will have an issue.

Most auto parts stores will accept used oil for free, so disposal isn't a big concern.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know you said you wanted to DIY but for the hassle of finding a place, the task itself, wrench, drain pan, buying the oil and filter and disposal of the old oil I would just take to a truck center or RV dealer to have it done. Anymore you don't really save a lot of money doing it yourself and it's certainly less hassle and mess. There is a reason CG's don't want people changing oil and primarily it's the risk of a spill and the disposal of the old oil. I think you'll find the same concern anywhere you would try and change it that wasn't personal property.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS