cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Changes,Where?

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had a local Ford Truck dealer change my oil. I find most regular Ford car dealers won't touch my 29' B+. Finding a Ford Truck dealer is difficult, especially when you need an oil change. Do most of you go to an RV repair facility to get it changed? I am always concerned about the quality of their work--some are good, others not so much. Also--how often do you change your oil? I hear 3,000 miles and I hear 5,000 miles.
28 REPLIES 28

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
My Chevy goes to the local Chevy dealer. They are happy to change the oil and perform other minor service. Haven't needed any major service, but I expect they would help with that also.

I change oil according to computer service indicator, or at end of season before winter storage. Chevy requires synthetic blend, but I use full synthetic instead (Mobil 1).
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, however, my question is who does the work while on the road. I have a local truck dealer, but where do you go when you need a change while on the road. And doing it myself is out of the question. I can afford to pay to have someone else do the work.

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I change oil at WAlmart. The only issue is that Walmart doesn't trust their employees. Once they are done, they will need another employee to sign off. I once had to wait for 2 hours for them to find a manager (who was on lunch break) to sign off .

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I change it in the driveway with Mobile 1 Full synthetic since the first oil change and a Motorcraft Oil Filter. Fortunately, our Taurus and E450 both use the same Oil Filter, so I always have several on hand.

My manual states every 7,500 miles or every 6 months.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford recommended a 5000 mile interval with the introduction of the Triton engines in the '90s, has since stretched it retroactively to 7500. This is using Ford-spec oils (their own is semi-synthetic) and filters. The "oil life" computation in my van will give me 8000-9000 miles the way I use the van, but I don't push past 7500, which is about 20% life left on the computer.

I'm rural, travel on the Plains and in the southwest, so most Ford dealers service trucks. The car vs truck dealership dichotomy is mostly in urban areas (where 90% of the customers live). On the other hand, nearest dealer might be 100-200 miles away, a different problem than finding out which dealer in a 15-30 mile radius is a truck dealear.

The self-change on the E-450 is easy. I still have my dealer do it, because he'll do the E-350 van for $9.95, the motorhome for $19.95 (plus disposal fees) and I can't buy the oil that cheaply.

I would not have the work done at a RV shop. Some won't even do it, others might do it but not necessarily use factory spec oils and filters, nor do the other chassis inspection stuff the dealers include in a cheap oil change to try to find additional services to sell.

If I didn't have a Ford truck dealer with such generous pricing, and didn't want to do the job myself, I would work with one of the local family-owned service shops I trust. I have at three choices with bays big enough, or at least willing to do the job on the ground, that I've been doing business with the past 30 years.

I'm wary of the franchised quick change places, even if they have a big bay with a pit (easiest way to do the job) because there just seems to be too much turnover. When a tech gets enough experience to get a better job, he'll leave for the better job.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart Super stores will do it here where I live.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
I change the oil myself. Pretty easy on the E450 chasis. Manual calls for every 6 months or 7500 miles. I only put about 3000-4000 miles a year, at most, on mine. With the low usage, I am changing the oil annually (right before I put it in storage for winter) and Using a Full Synthetic Oil. I just can't see changing the oil after it has sat in storage 4-6 months with no use...such a waste! In the event I need to take it into the dealer (recently did for some warranty work), I am lucky enough to have a Ford Heavy Truck center 12 miles from my house.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Robert78121 wrote:
The easiest way to change your oil with a motorhome is in your own driveway.

X 2 Same for me...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always try to use an INDEPENDENT LOCAL truck shop in my area. Luckily I have found 2. I have established a relationship with them so I feel better when I take the MH to them for service. I always see lots of commercial vehicles there for repair including some national chains
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way to change your oil with a motorhome is in your own driveway.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30' Class C and went to the same Express Lube that does my automobiles. As long as it fits in the doors, they can service it. I just had to pull in my side mirrors.
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use synthetic and my vehicles go 5000 miles. My jeep just turned 106,000 and replaced the battery only. other trucks, K-5 Blazers both went over 225,000 with no motor

problems. The motorhome will be the same for me. Find a local shop and stop by. The local guy that's been there a while may just do it in the driveway to earn your business.

I absolutely positively stay away from the roadside quick lube jiffy lube whatever.

I did an oil analysis on my diesel pick up and they said 6500 miles. Keep it local if you can, support the guy thats been shlepping in your town for all these years.

Anyone ever have it done at the truck stops? Im sure the diesel pushers must have.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding your change interval, what does your owner's manual say? That's what you should do.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
For what little I can't/don't do myself, I take it to a non-dealership truck repair shop. Probably costs a bit more, but they seem to have pretty competent mechanics. Truck shops don't tend to last long if their mechanics aren't good.

Jim, "What if Schrodinger's cat was a zombie?"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')